truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The weekend started off good and just kept getting better and better.

First we rode at TNT on Saturday. It was a great day of battling on the Intermediate track with James, Gomer, Linus and Sean. We all stayed pretty good but it looks like Gomer has the speed on that track and James will have to give up the track title... as James said, once he gets the hubcap glued back on to the belt he'll award it to Gomer.

After TNT James and I headed back to my house, picked up Jenni, grabbed some Italian grub and off to the Arenacross we went. Of course, while eating our grub the highlight of the night came as James tried to pour some salad dressing on his salad but didn't take the cork out of the bottle. Jenni promptly (and sarcastically) pointed out James' error while I proceeded to do what every good friend should do... laugh at him :-) Of course, the next day he got me back but I'll save that for a little later.

The track layout for the Arenacross was pretty cool. They started up the middle and then when they came back around they went the other way down the straight for the remainder of the race. The jumps looked tough as nails. In the 50cc and 65cc classes the kids had trouble making it up the face of the catapult jump and some even got stuck on the peak.

The main event racing was pretty cool. There was some great racing and nobody got seriously hurt... even when the one guy landed on the other. They were up rather quickly. I was pretty surprised they were not carted off on a stretcher.

We got home around 11pm and then James and I were up at 8am and headed out to Copperhead MX in Georgia (www.copperheadmx.com). It was a nice 3 1/2 hour drive (of course James may have a different story since I was doing all the talking as usual... I'm sure he was ready to be free of me once we got the bikes started <g>).

We were heading to Copperhead to drop off my bike with MX Tuner. We got there about noon and parked right beside Tuner. I have to say, the old blondie sure is fast on the MX track. He was moving and was really smooth out there.

On the first sighting lap the track looked intimidating. The jumps looked steep and the landings looked steep too. However, after the first lap I tried a few doubles. They were AWESOME! The takeoffs were great and the landings were smooth. I came up short a few times but as long as I got my front wheel up so my back wheel hit first I landed pretty safe.

I ended up making all the doubles but failed to do the two tabletops, one of the two rythm sections and the whoops. However, my highlight was when I jumped the single to tabletop. It looked intimidating as can be but it turned out to be one of the coolest jumps I've ever done. The dirt was great too. Lots of traction and the turns were rather loamy too. Unfortunately, I am too used to hardpack and had a lot of issues in the corners. However, I did do well once I remembered to weight the outside peg and give it some gas.

As a matter of fact I thought I had the turning down pretty good and came up on another rider and ended up closing in as he was entering the corner. I quickly learned that he has corning down to a science as he proceeded to rocket out of the turn and pelting me with loam, rocks and lots and lots and lots of dirt!

I also seat bounced one double when I didn't think I had the speed. The bike pitched me up perfectly and I overjumped the double. It was the highest I think I have ever went and the landing turned out to be pretty decent considering. I also overjumped the stepup and that was the longest air time I'd ever gotten. However, the landing was pretty hard.

Overall I was really happy on the track. The doubles were the coolest doubles I'd ever jumped. When you landed fairly close to the right area the landing was smooth. There was a decent amount of room for error so even though they seemed intimidating they were not as bad as they looked.

However, I think I got a little overconfident. I tried the one rythm section that I followed Tuner through and unfortunately I made a mistake on the approach to the second set and landed in the face of the landing. I hit HARD. My head went down, I felt a hard slam and next thing I know I'm looking at oncoming traffic! I almost called it quites but decided to do one last lap. I'm glad I did but after that lap I called it a day.

Total for the day 1 flat lip, one really sore jaw, a headache from taking a good hit to the jaw and one track to add at the TOP of my list as my favorite!!

After the practice James and I hit Zaxby's. Well, my jaw was smarting and the inside of my lip is split so when this good looking mountain girl came walking buy she looked at me and smiled. Of course, I never thought she was looking at the swollen side of my face so I tried to smile back. Unfortunately, my lower lip got caught on my tooth where the split was and I gave a cringing, painful looking smile. It was so bad that James had to comment, over and over again :)

This was a great weekend and the track was unbelievable. Gomer would have absolutely loved the place.

There was also a lot of RMF's, KXF's and CRF's out there to go with the YZF250F's. The RMF's look REALLY nice.

Ivan
PS... did I mention that Copperhead was awesome and is now my favorite track! It was by far the best track I've ever ridden on.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
the ear plugs with the IC (Ivan Cancelling) technology
I could have used those on that 27 hour trip to pick up Jenny's DRZ. :debil:

Copperhead sounds pretty cool.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I could have used those on that 27 hour trip to pick up Jenny's DRZ. :debil:

LOL! You guys are a riot.

Gomer, yes... I believe Copperhead is better than MM. It isn't as long but it has some uphills, downhills, lots of cool jumps and the terrain is just really cool.

Ivan

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You left Saturday a bit too early. Ike had Barbara build a double down in the training area that he said was just for you. He said it was about the same as the tabletop, so since you were doing that you should hit the double the same.

I didn't tell him that you've jumped stuff a lot bigger, so I'll leave it up to you to yank his chain before you surprise him.

CueRX, his friend, and I played around on the training area and back out on the track some before we stopped just before 6:00. It was about all I could to do stay with him...he was moving! I figure by February we won't be able to keep him in sight.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I barely could keep him in sight on the trails. He is really good out there.

I looked at the jump Ike was building and when I saw it it looked VERY intimidating and pretty long. I guess I need to see the finished product.

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
Come on now...better than MM?!?

James, how did the ear plugs with the IC (Ivan Cancelling) technology work out?

I forgot the ear plugs, the ear muffs, and the Walkman. I even had to ask him to to maintain a 45 degree angle away from my ear at the arenacross so as not to get a headache :|

His attempt to smile at the mountain girl was the BEST!! We are sitting there eating, and I noticed he was looking up and making this face like he was in severe pain....or constipated maybe. Reminded me a bit of when DeNiro played Frankenstein. Anyway, a second later, this attractive girl walks by (from what I could tell from the backside) and then he looks back at me. So I ask him..."What was wrong with her that caused you to make that face?" He tells me that nothing was wrong, she looked at him, so he smiled. I laughed out loud and described/reinacted his "smile" and we both laughed about it the whole way home..well....except for when we realized that Ivan had thrown the directions away.

He really was knocked silly by his accident.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by James

He really was knocked silly by his accident.

Looking back I can't believe some of the things I said. Not that I said things bad it just was I couldn't find the right words to express my thoughts.

Today I have a really sore neck. I suppose it is from a whiplash type thing when I hit my jaw. However, my doc gave me a clean bill of health and everything looks good. I'm just gonna be sore for a few days.

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by Truespode
Looking back I can't believe some of the things I said. Not that I said things bad it just was I couldn't find the right words to express my thoughts.

Like the time when you were saying a whole lot of stuff that made no sense to the girl behind the counter at Raxby's??

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by James

Kind of like the time when you were saying a whole lot of stuff that made no sense to the girl behind the counter at Raxby's??

I forgot that I talked to her... dang what a day it was.

Thanks again for driving back. I'm glad I didn't have to do that on my own.

Ivan

Top Bottom