Weekend Ride Report-- I finished!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey everyone, I sure haven't had much to post about lately, but this time it's a good one! I've been waiting a few years to say this...

I finished my first enduro without houring out!

Now, for some this isn't a big deal, but East Coast enduros are fairly well known for being pretty tough events. The terrain can be unlike anything else in the U.S., and I've been to several over the past couple years and haven't been able to make it past the half-way or 2/3 point without houring out. Pretty depressing, for sure, when you're taking the "short cut" back to the pits and end up waiting for everyone else to come back.

This weekend was different-- Dave and I drove into southern NJ for the Beehive Enduro. Now, you may not have heard of Mauricetown, but it is the home of National Enduro Champ Mike Lafferty (they even have signs on the main road as you come into town!) And the Beehive Enduro is typically listed as a good enduro for beginner & C riders. Because of this, turnout is usually very high-- in this case, almost 400 riders yesterday. We arrived on Saturday, and signed up-- Minute 55 was the next available.

By Sunday morning, the rider count was up to row 70-something, and that's with 5 riders on a minute! I was a bit worried about the weather, as it was going to be warm and humid (mid 80's), and dehydration can be a problem. But, we filled the canteens full and went on our way. Dave promised to ride "with" me at this event, in case of trouble. In reality, I only saw him at the check-outs and at the gas availables, as the terrain wasn't too gnarly.
The first section was a great warm up, and with a bit of road to get us back on time, we zeroed the first check. After that, it was eveyrone for themselves. The next trail section was a points taker, but road and a gas available helped to recover some time. I never caught completely back up, in the next couple sections, but by the second gas available I knew I was going to finish, as long as I just kept moving. The last major trail section was set at 24mph, and a real hoot to ride, even if I couldn't maintain the speed average. After that, it was a bit more road and I was done. Turned in a completed score card, not a DNF card! :)
103 enduro miles, which came out to 77 ground miles, all covered in about 4 1/2 hours. And since it was NJ, you have to expect a few sections of "ignorant tight"-- trees so close together you have to come to a near dead-stop to wiggle your bars through. And in some cases, it was like that for a hundred yards! Pretty tough even for the fast guys to maintain 18mph through a section like that.
Since it was a 6 hour drive back home, we didn't stay for the final results, but I figure I was about mid-pack for the Women's class. Doesn't matter-- the finish is what counts for me.

Man, am I glad to have that monkey off my back! It has been bugging me for a long time that I haven't been able to finish one of these things.

Entry fee: $45
T-shirt: $10
Finishing an enduro without houring out: Priceless!!

B

biglou

Kickass! :aj: Even though I don't know what half of what you said means, I recognized "77 miles"! :ohmy:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
biglou said:
Kickass! :aj: Even though I don't know what half of what you said means, I recognized "77 miles"! :ohmy:
Glad I wasn't the only one!! I think I'll stick w/MX!. Good job finishing the race without running out of time, or however it works. Sorry, I have never understood hairscramles or enduros, and I don't know anyone who races them. So I can't exactly have it explained to me. Phil and I had planned on racing of the weekend (we haven't been all summer due to the wedding) but, we are going to Steel City instead! :yeehaw: :ride:
We're spoiling ourselves...first Red Bud and now Steel City!!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Lori, I know EXACTLY what you were talking about and YOU KICK MAJOR BUTT WOMAN!!!! :aj: Wow, I know the feeling of houring out and having to wait back at the pits for all your friends. One time I even houred on on the LAST check because I got stuck behind some Sunday Riders who were not even in the race. Every minute really does count because I had wasted time here and there with this section or that. And the burned checks don't happen to me too often because I really am slow, but I burned one by 7 minutes in an easy section - dang that was a tough lesson for sure.

Well, I just wanted to congratulate you, I know exactly how you must feel! My goal is to not hour out in a non-family enduro "one of these days" so I will keep you in my thoughts as inspiration. GOOD JOB! :worship:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Awesome Lori! Congrats.

I have yet to do an enduro, just the occasional hare scramble. I was going to try this year, but I've been too busy riding to go pay to race. Next year maybe.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Lori. You’re the "TOPS" I have yet to enter a real enduro. I've rode a few family style enduros’ and many CCC trail ride events. The Beehive sounded like a great starter race. Congratulation on finishing and that great time sheet! Maybe someday I'll get my bike road legal and be able to give a real enduro a try. For now I'm just working on my 100 mile stripes! "CCC Six days of Michigan event"

Dede

May 23, 2004
Way to go! That must have been such a great feeling. It sounds like a tough course. So now that you've completed this challenge what's next for you?

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Hey Lori!
I thought I saw you right after the gas stop! Since this was my clubs event I'm not allowed to compete in it but instead work it. I don't know if you noticed me but I was waving riders to slow down on a dirt road near some locals house's. Our club always has a nice event, we don't try to put a beatin' on anyone to badly that is... I'm glad you came down and enjoyed my back yard (literally!). Congrats on finishing too! I hope you come down again next year! I wish I got a chance to say Hi! but I didn't see 'ya after the event. Maybe next time. Talk to 'ya soon Lori!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey, I thought that was you Lissa! Yep, I saw ya-- but I was too late to stop and say HI!

Dave and I both had a lot of fun-- we'll try to make it back next year. :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm another one of those clueless MXers.... but I did comprehend 77 miles and 4 1/2 hours (!!!!)

Sounds like an awesome accomplishment, Lori! Kick ass - way to go!! :cool:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Congrats Lori :)

I had a crap ride the other week - a harescramble I didn't finish due to numerous reasons. I was pretty down about it, but when you're being lapped by the lead rider 2x in your first lap (and each time you're stuck), it just gets a bit depressing. Anyway, I was talking to some other women later on in the day & they pointed out that at least I'd started which was more than they'd done. I went home thinking about how last year the ride was better & how I'd regretted not doing more than one lap (this time I pulled out not even having completed the lap) - guess what, I don't care, I know how much trouble I was having, how to go about fixing what was wrong.

That's the one thing you have to remember, you've got the guts to even try, which is more than others. Don't get down because of a bad ride, think of those who're too scared to give it a go, the ones sitting on the sidelines watching. Be proud of yourself & your accomplishments. It's easy to sit watching & bagging people & to those, I say, why aren't you out there too?

Congratulations on not DNF'ing, but even more importantly, congratulations on starting & giving it everything you've got :)

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Congratulations on the finish Lori. That is really quite a feat! I have not rode a full enduro yet!!!! Just used to getting my butt kicked in cross countries. I plan on trying an enduro this year and am not expecting to finish.... we shall see!

Congrats again for a job well done!
Jennifer

Top Bottom