DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
ob1, Do you have the miller part # I can check with a couple of my suppliers and get a price, and maybe also get the specifics of the speed control for an alternate fix

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Does size of the rod really matter for deep penetration :nener:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
From an ex commercial diver/welder/ndt inspector...you can stick it, you can mig it, you can even tig it but with my thermal lance I can frig it! :laugh:

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Jaybird said:
He wasn't asking about your type of work.
How many overhead welds do you make with a mig, Dennis?

And you can use a stick on wrought iron just as easy as as mig. Both spatter, and you should use a good spatter spray (ivory soap and water as I have mentioned before) to make clean-up a breeze.

How many welds overhead with MIG? A S***load Jaybird, all day long when necessary, no problem. Proper set up and control of your stickout with MIG will all but eliminate spatter, can't do that with stick. The reason I went into my background is you seem to have a tendency to think you know everything (typical Union guy :worship: ). Well I think you should stick to giving advice on stick welding (you seem somewhat knowledgeable in that area), but you haven't got a clue beyond that! :ohmy: Like I said Whyzee, you are more than welcome to try out what I have (and there's cold one's in the fridge), and I can show you some cool tricks for working with Iron.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You know what...the info I gave whyzee was absolutely spot-on concerning what he asked about. You boneheads can set around and throw your accusations at me, call me know-it-all, claim I have no idea what I was talkign about, and it won't change a thing. I was correct on this issue. I think maybe both of you want to show how much you know about welding (or how little as in a certain persons case) and had no intentions of actually thinking through, or really understanding what whyzee was asking about. It was ignorance to even consider a mig welder for field work, PERIOD.

No, Dennis, I am not a proffesional shop welder...I hire guys to do that for me pal.
And for your information, I am a union business owner that happens to have carried a union card since 1978. That by no means makes me a know-it-all on any type of welding, but I would imagine I've welded more baseplates and structural iron members than you have even seen. Welding is only a miniscule part of our trade and ability.

It amazes me how folks get thier panties all in a bunch over such things.
And yes, I got all tore up too, but it was simply because I know for a fact I was correct.
If I had a bunch of mig welders sent out on one of my jobs, my guys would think I'd been smoking crack....or in cahoots with a scab welder with a number three hat size. :rotfl: (shakin' head)

Dennis, I completely undertstand the benifits of mig welding. I also understand that if a person does not have things correctm they can lay a pretty bead in that won't hold. THat is a fact. Surely you could go back and read what I said and understand it. Don't simply come back and paste up part of what I said and continue to argue.
Or did you just feel a need to show your superiority in the field of welding...if so then...I agree...you are da shiznitz, my brother! :worship:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Dennis,
I'd very much like to come up to your shop and test out your equipment. Make a day of it. I have to tell ya that reading the posts and speaking with the local rep at "Machine & Welding Supply Co." I think I'm leaning towards a Hobart 220 volt 175 amp set up. Cart, regulator and mig welder for under $750. 80# tank & fist fill for around $110. Although this place has Clarke brand welders at a very low price. HERE
I have a 10,000 amp generator for work that I can leave on the back of my truck and set the welder up next to the generator. 99% of the time I willb] ba able to back my truck up to the beams and work off the tailgate. The few times I can't I'll run a cord to the welder and elevate the unit to work more effeciently. The welds only have to be tack.

Dennis, I'll go ahead and get a Helmet and some gloves for myself and come eager to learn. Send me an email or PM and we can work out a day that works with your schedule.
Jay, DRZ, everyone else... great advice and thank you.

Jay,
smile and the world will smile with you. I know you have great passion in all things, sometimes others might mistake that energy and think you don't love them. :cool:
Thanks for the spatter spray formula and the great advice on stick vs mig.
(singing theme song to the Love Boat......)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
whyzee, I really did not want to cause such a ruckuss. I thought I was simply giving you the best advise I knew to give.
I really never would have even considered backing a truck up to the work. Nor would I have even thought of spending a grand for tack welding beams. (shrug)

If you do get an arc welder, I would suggest going with the 220v ac/dc model. You are limited with the lesser models. ( I'm sure that someone will want to argue that point too...but I'm done. :) )

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
They aren't much, Dave.
I've never found those little buzz boxes good for much more than a short weld on sheet metal.
Just not enough amperage to do anything with. It will tack for you, but they won't be good penetrative tacks and not to be trusted to any sort of resistance or pressure at all.

Again, are you talking about wrought iron handrail?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom