Well I am no AJ, but check out my latest project....

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Rich Rohrich said:
The CRF150R is an incredible amount of fun, and appears to be doing OK sales wise (maybe AJ can confirm). I'm still surprised the other OEMs haven't built something similar. :coocoo:

How would the 150R work for a novice rider.
This bike is really for my 9 year old daughter.
But my 13 year old daughter could use an upgrade.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
mxbundy said:
How would the 150R work for a novice rider.
This bike is really for my 9 year old daughter.
But my 13 year old daughter could use an upgrade.

I've had a couple of little guys about that age ride mine and other than the bike being too tall (I have the big wheel version) they did fine on a simple MX track. Being XR80 riders they didn't get the engine spinning really hard but it has enough torque that it can been ridden fairly low in the rpm range and still be a fun and fairly docile engine.

I've been really impressed with the bike. It's a really nice overall package.

Dec 31, 2008
i sometimes think of a good bike for my wife. i had a xr50, wich was plenty of speed and power for her but she is tall. a cr80 for example would be the perfect hieght but its too much bike for her, plus the whole clutch thing.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My wife really has no problems with the clutch on the little XR80 beast that Rich built up. Plenty of torque to get her going if she flubs the release / throttle roll on. Go figure she still can't drive a manual trans car to save her life.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
flying-
i did a few of them a few years back,,
and recently just did this one,,
plan to do a few more,, cool lil bikes.

holeshot-
i saw that on another site !
that trendsetters guy does somre amazing work,,love his 33 ford replica.
just amazing.

Dec 31, 2008
Patman said:
My wife really has no problems with the clutch on the little XR80 beast that Rich built up. Plenty of torque to get her going if she flubs the release / throttle roll on. Go figure she still can't drive a manual trans car to save her life.

haha yeah maybe i worry about her a bit too much. she could learn clutch, but the clutchless xr50 was simple for her and got her moving, it was bored out to a 88cc or whatever the popular bore is on those things, cant remember. but she would get moving pretty fast on that thing, kinda bites off more than she could chew. although i guess a bigger bike would need more power. i think a bike the size of a xr100 with a xr80 motor would do good. i had a little kawai 110 that was plenty of bike for her but still to small as well

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
redneckbillybob said:
haha yeah maybe i worry about her a bit too much. she could learn clutch, but the clutchless xr50 was simple for her and got her moving

You could always put a Rekluse Autoclutch in a CRF150R and get the same effect.

http://www.rekluse.com/zstart.shtml

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
AJ Waggoner said:
you can diffinantly shorten the shaft..(or find one from another model)

thing is then the case needs machined down and newseal lip fit.. not a big deal..
but by the time you shorten it enough,to tuck inside the frame, the kickstart arm often its the frame and brake pedal..
its a fine line.. lol

its just no tthe right style "bend" but can be manipulated to work for sure!

i'm still going to try the banshee /kickarm, as that is alledgedly a simple "bolt on" solution..
i'll let ya'll know..!

If the shaft is case hardened, things could get a bit tricky...

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
AJ, how do you do it?

Honestly though, I understand you have years of experience, but did you attend a school or how did you get started?

I want to go to MMI in Phoenix starting this fall.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Finally Finished!

Looks F'in sweet! :yikes:
IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nice work Bundy!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Fantastic work as always Bundy!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Beautiful!

Almost too pretty to get dirty.

I'll bet that would be a real hoot on a tight tight track.

How's it handle?

Looks like the countershaft and swingarm pivot are pretty far apart. Any trouble with the chain derailing?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
great work. very nice looking bike :cool:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Sweet!!

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
dirt bike dave said:
Beautiful!

Almost too pretty to get dirty.

I'll bet that would be a real hoot on a tight tight track.

How's it handle?

Looks like the countershaft and swingarm pivot are pretty far apart. Any trouble with the chain derailing?
Well, I am 6'4" so all I have done is just ride up and down the road, so I cant commit on the handling. But the little YZ's are supposed to handle great. As for the chain, no problems yet. I suppose that if you ride it hard enough to flex the swingarm you could have trouble. But all of these conversions have the same problem.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Nice job Bunster. :cool: :cool:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
That bike looks like a blast to ride... :nod:

Top Bottom