CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
At a more moderate pace than an expert MX'er rides there should be no reason why you can't get those service intervals from the rings and pistons. The Yamaha 250Fs have the nasty habit of breaking parts and throwing them through the motor if you stretch the intervals to long, but so far at least the Hondas have not shown any of that behaviour. They just get slow and hard to start when they are really tired.

Well I'm certainly no expert. You are right about that though because a hard-charging MX'er wouldn't get the 25 hours that I get out of my KX. He (or she) is looking at a top end every 15 or so hours.

Rich Rohrich said:
These engines are much easier to work on than most people might realize, but it will never be as simple as popping the top on a CR125 and changing the piston. But if you think about it, a water cooled power-valve equipped 125 seems like a bear to work on when compared to an old air-cooled Elsinore. ;)

I guess once you get past the timimg issues (chain, cam position) it is straight forward. I'm slowly comming around.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rv6junkie said:
I guess once you get past the timimg issues (chain, cam position) it is straight forward.
... and that part is so simple and so well documented as to be a non-issue. :cool:

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
Heck, I ride 15 hours every two weeks! That'd be a top end every month and a half with a 50 hour service interaval. . .

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: crf250 service intervals:

One thing sure....if you don't check the oil every hour, you will be finding the mandatory service interval to be about sixty-one minutes.

OK, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. Don't imagine the -r is different and the -x uses oil at a high rate. In one ride's time the -x I rode went from plumb full to not showing on the stick......with the stick threaded all the way in!

That's pretty handy.

RE: sound level testing
Those tests vary hugely by equipment used and its use. Last local event tech guys used a preprinted sheet that listed all bikes made and the rpm at which the SPL should be checked.

......they couldn't find my oddball 2000 KDX 200 on that list! It checked @ 94db. Just two weeks before it was 99db checked by the same crew.

RE: con/di and verging:
Those heat'n blue marks are there for some reason other than just plain prettiness?

OK. Now I can say I've seen one.

'The valve seat..' Exhaust I presume? Is one exhaust valve more of a problem than the other? The 'forked rocker' makes me wonder if the valves 'wear' the same. Woods or track? Did it have a rad fan?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom