MxerSteve711

Dec 8, 2002
Hello i am having trouble deciding between a used 1996-2000 model 250 yz, kx, cr, rm. Which one would be the best on those years? Please share your opinions and what you experienced and herd. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i've noticed a trend around here (mason county, wa. the trend is CR's and YZ's. when one sees an MX bike on a truck or trailer, chances are its a YZ or CR. i haven't seen a kawasaki for months around here and only a few RM's - and thats with RM's being 1000$ less than everything else all summer and fall. also, the closet YAM dealer is over an hour away from here...there must be a reason that people would go far to by a YZ...skipping the RM's and KX's...but i really dunno

i do not MX, but I do notice dirt bikes.

jeremiah

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Beer Stud: Here was one of my responses from another post:
HI Grass Digger: I had a 95 that I LOVED in the handleing department!! To date I have not had a bike that fit me (like it was made for my frame) like that RM!! Problem was the motor was JUNK!!! I couldnt keep the power valve in it. The clutch basket assembly was made of some kind weird japenese alloy (I think it was an alloy of lead and aluminum) that loved to develope those infamous saw teeth and so on...... The bike however did handle FATASTIC!!! I sold that piece of junk CHEAP (1300 included repair manual) and it was mint LOOKING!!!
I then gave Suzuki one more shot and got a 96. Also a super bike (this was the first year of Roger Decosters design) with excellent handling (however I thought the 95 did fit me better). About 40 hours into the bike and the tranny took a major dump!! $875 dollars (and this was with the local shop cutting me slack on the labor costs) in parts later and the problem was suppose to have been resolved - I never found out for sure cause that was it for Suzuki and me!! That bike brought $1600 once fixed (by then the word about Junkzuki's was out here locally and guess who got stuck holding the bag).
I got bit twice and it will take some time for Suzuki to prove itself to me.
It might behoove you to go down just compare quality between bikes in cosmetics . The differences might shock you!
Woodsy

Maybe some folks out there had simular experiences!
I really like the YZ250 of late! AWESOME motor, AWESOME suspention and GREAT dealer support here locally!! The only problem with them are the parts prices - H,S or K you can find deals just buy looking in the back of any dirt bike mag, but not Y!
Woodsy

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
for other suzuki riding types - i'm pretty much confining my remarks to the RM line. theres lots of suzuki 4 strokes on the trails out here and few complaints.

jeremiah

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
The '96 RM250 was the 250 of the year according to MXA.  I have been riding 'zukis since '76.  Have not had any major problems.  The problem with buying a used bike is that you don't know how well it was maintained.  So I don't care which bike you end up buying, if the previous owner didn't maintain whatever brand, it is going to take big bucks to make it reliable. :scream:

Top Bottom