Feb 27, 2006
hi i am a biginer rider just lernt how to change gears on yz 125 so i am a starter but do not know what bike to get 2 stroke 125 or 2 stroke 250 i am 6 foot and about 85KG dont want a bike thats to wild just want one to have fun on and do some littel jumps and i dont want to get the wrong bike my mind tells me to get the 250 2stroke but i dont know and i dont want to get a bike thats to slow my friends tell me the 250 is to fast for a biginer like me and that i will break my neck when the power band hits please please help i dont want to choose the wrong one thanks regards Bryan

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
What did you think of the YZ 125 you rode? Was it too fast, scary and powerful, or did you feel like you were in control on it. A 250 2 stroke isn't that hard to ride when you're careful, but it is a lot more to handle in tough situations and can get you into trouble a lot faster. Since you don't have a lot of riding skills yet, less power would probbably be easier to control. Unfortuantely, it comes at the cost of a less beginner friendly powerband, as 125's don't pull as strongly off the bottom end as do 250's. Whatever you get, you're going to have to be careful until you gain some skills and confidence riding it, as they can both hurt you if you're not careful.

Feb 27, 2006
yz 125

hi thanks for the reply the yz 125 was ok but i did not hit power band as i was just testing it out but is was pretty fast i just dont want to get the 125 then get bord of it in a week or two i was thinking of geting CR125 1997 or CR250 1997
i think i might go with the 125 to start off with do you think yamaha yz 125 or honda cr125 whats best eg power handling
thanks regards BRYAN

cr125man

May 1, 2005
I bought a 03 cr125 as my first bike, from a kid that had it setup for racing. The only bikes that i ever rode before that were a xr100, crf150, and a cr125 for like a couple hours. There no big deal to get used to. after a few hours of riding you will have it down no problem, the powerband was not at all a big deal for me to get used to. I have since ridden a relatives cr250 and it is not that much different to get used too. Sure it has more of a "kick", but nothing you cant get used to. So I think you would be happy with either one. And about brand choice i whould deffinitly go with the Honda :aj:

Hope This Helps

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi, I hear your confussion. I have been riding for about two years, i started on a quad, but didn't ride very much, basically got the hang of changing gears, etc. I then bought a KDX200, when I first got it I really battled, as I wasn't used to 2-stroke power and I had never really ridden a 2 wheeler, well 3 months down the line and maybe 8 rides under the belt and bordom struk. I then spend huge money trying to get more power out of it and eventually after a year of riding it I finally got to the point, where there was know other way than getting a 250 2-stroke (kx250 2006 rules), best move I made and it is easier to ride than the KDX dispite having more power.

did I make a mistake getting the KDX, I don't know, I think if I did it again I would have just gone for the 250 2-stroke.

I weigh about 90kg's at 5'10" so I am a similar size/weight as you. remember it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. But if I were you I would probally go for a KDX200, because you have had even less experience than I had when I started.

Feb 27, 2006
thanks you guys for the reply i like the kdx 200 and would like to get one how much do you think i can pick one up for sadude in rands because i am in cape town and have seen a lot of guys riding the kdx 200 and 250 around the local track over here it is not verry loud conperd to the mx 125 and 250 2strokes my friends tell me thant the kdx is a good trail bike and enduro stuff like that i have never riden one is it a good bike and is it got a littel speed will be happy with one of them cr125man my friend who dose mx sead to me that the yz125 is better than the cr125 the 1997 model but i agree with you honda rocks i like the look of hondas and kx bikes are cool to thank you for the help CR125MAN SADUDE AND TIMBERPIG it has helpt me REGARDS BRYAN

BENYZ

Spammer
Feb 3, 2006
here some help about 125s. http://dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0412_125_shoot/ this will help you pick the 125.
i would get a 250 4 stroke they are a little faster than a 125 and are a little easer to ride then a 250 2 stroke. (dont know if you like 4 strokes at all) i would get the crf250r its a raceing 4 stroke.

http://dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0501_250f_shoot/ this will help you pick the 4 stroke 250.

http://dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0503_250_shoot/ this will help you pick the 2 stroke 250.

its up to you what you like and dont like(i like raceing 4 strokes my self :fft: ) but you may not so get whats best for you!

Jan 10, 2006
One thing that I have not seen discussed thus far is your budget. That is ( usually ) the biggest factor as many of us do not have unlimited resources. Be sure to consider your bike purchase budget, maintenance budget, and all of you extras like boots, helmet, and so on... :cool:

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi Brian

You could probably pick up a good second hand one for between R25 000 and R30 000, I sold mine one year old kdx200 for R32000 last year. It had about R10 000 worth of extra's on it. A new one will set you back about R37 000. There are a couple things you should do if you are going to get a new one, O-Ring Chain (R450), Exhaust Guard (R250), Skid Plate (R450) and Bark Busters (R500). These are aproximate prices, you could also get the complete Hyde Exhaust Guad and Skid Plate for about R900.

If you are battling to get a KDX in Cape Town, Phone Russell Campbell Racing http://www.russellcampbellracing.co.za/

Good Luck

Top Bottom