ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Hey all sup, I dono if this is the right place or not to put this but... here goes..

im 5'6-5'7 and 110-120 pounds and 17 years old and in search for my first bike, ive ridden lost of atv's and 1 bike and it is a 95 Cr250 with (carbon fiber reeds, filter, fmf pipe, 110 race gas, brand new tires when I rode it so it wasnt spinning at all ... Hooking like hell LOL, Few more things I dono for sure what else just stuff he said) and 3rd gear full throttle was a bit overboard for me and fun as hell LOL (id get used to the power easly tho)...

Well the guy with the CR250 says I should look at a KDX220 and not be worried about riding a bigger bike cause he says KDX's are tame, I think I should look at a KDX200 myself and probly what ill be getting unless somone convinces me different.

Really the KDX200 is the only thing in my price range only wanting to spend 4grand area on a new bike, could possibly get a 125 Honda or yamaha 2 stroke or about any 4 stroke I want... but my friend says stick with the KDX he had 1 and he says he regrets ever wrecking it and getting anything besides a KDX... (this man is 38 my girlfriends dad actualy and has ridden bikes his whole life.)

Ima very small guy and im worried to death the KDX will be to big for me or to powerfull im not sure as my first bike im seriously worried, I havnt sat on 1 yet but he says it stands just as tall as his 250, (I can sit on his 250 and touch the ground with my tip toes and hold it up no problem)

What do you guys think about a KDX200 being my first bike? and if you really think thats a no... just go ahead and post somthing you could actualy see me on more by body size and everything.. not somthing ill grow out of and not want and regret getting somthing else.

Thanks, ~Kacy~

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Crap wrong forum my bad X_X, what a way to make a first impression very sorry guys and gals lol.

Edit:Thanks for moving.

Last edited:

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Where and What type of riding are you going to be doing? Thats the biggest factor. Trails (tight/wide), Track, Open Fields, Powerlines, etc..

Dont worry about riding a bigger bike. Im younger than you, 5'6, 115 lbs and i ride a kx125 with no problem at all. :)

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Trails and small amount of racing and first time I seen powerlines on a list like this lol, Yes the powerlines is a very local spot where alot of people ride around here and thats what ill be on too.

mainly trails tho.

Actualy all, tight wide trails, open fields, powerlines, all that jazz except track... I mean yeah some homade tracks back off in the woods maybe after I get the hang of it all but no not a professional track and not really jumping either.

Also when I say racing I mean like a straight away or just flat out drag every now and then, (gotta keep the compatition up with friends hahah) the thing I hear come from them most the time after they come back from a ride is "you liked how I pulled away from you all over them trails dont you? you gotta learn to keep up"

Last edited:

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
A KDX200 is an excellent bike for any kind of trail riding. It will also do a decent job on the track as long as you don't hit any really big jumps (I found the limit on a 50' double, resulting in two bent forks). The power is pretty tame, but you can get a lot out of it if you jet it right, install an aftermarket pipe and chop the airbox lid. It is a great learning bike b/c you won't get in too much trouble if you accidently fall back on the throttle. The KDX does weigh a little more than an MXer though.

Truth be told, the KDX is faster in the tight trails than a 250 MXer (depending on the riders of course). The gearing will keep you from shifting all day and the tame powerband will keep your back wheel from spinning so much. Also, when your friends on the MXers are getting flat back tires, you just keep on going (18"rim as opposed to a 19"). Lastly, the KDX is easy to work on and doesn't tear through top ends like the MXers.

Oh yeah, one more thing, KDX's are cheap!

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
KDX's are great bikes to learn on and I think you could handle one just fine. The 200 has more top end power and the 220 has more low end but less up top. I think you would be very happy with the 200.

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
My parents say they have no problem with spending the extra 400 to get eh KDX220 so I guess ima do that and not regret it later down the road lol cause I want that low end torque and the higher CC, that lower top end dont bother me it probly wont see it much anyways..

my girlfriends dad says I will be shifting alot first second but soon as I hit 3rd I can wind them gears out for a long time, he also said he had polished gears so he didnt need the cutch to do nothing but take off and he barly used the clutch and he just speed shifted, im not experiencesd enough to do that but that will be later on down the road lol. (this will get all the performance parts it needs since my friend did about EVERYTHING he could to his and hes very happy im getting 1!

aslo he told me to get a pipe on it as soon as I get it cause it sets in on fire, (his words lol) and then ill be able to notice the bike not having as much power later down the road and then that will tell me its time to ring it and possible needs freash top end, True?

Any more info would be great, thanks for already replying to.

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Btw do both the 200 and 220 both come with induro type tires? cause as my friend stated also Ill need to change them off the get-go cause they arnt the best for the terain thats out here? is he feeding me with a shouvel of BS and tryign to get me to keep somthing slower than his 250 and not beable to handle as well or anything compared or what haha.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
also said he had polished gears so he didnt need the cutch
You don't have to use the clutch to shift any modern dirtbike.

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
UPDATE.... I went to the local shop to check out the 220 and 200... and there just to tall of a bike for me they sat about 2 inches higher than 250's that sat right beside them... I can tip toe a 250 and feel uncoftrable doing it X_X, god im really liking this bike alot and wanna ride it badly but I dont wanna get a bike id feel uncomftrable on.. and the Out The Door Price and after financing would of been 6500 he said X_X and thats out of my budge

Next option? There is a nice USED yz125 04 there for 4k, Im guessing the financing and out the door price would be ALOT cheaper so might look into it, what do you guys think? or is there another bike out there for me? if not Ill probly just look into a quad sadly X_X.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
It's very easy to knock a couple of inches off of the seat height. You can slide the front end down on the forks, you can buy lowering links for the rear and you can cut the seat foam down. My KX500 looks like a KX85. But I'm very comfortable on it now.

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
New Bike in mind, this 1 I can fit on nicley and should have the power im looking for, its a CRF230F any info or coments on this bike?

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I really cant understand your not fitting on the KDX. The KDX-220 is 36.2 inches seat height, while my KX-125 is 37 something.. and I am about the same weight and height as you.

One common misconception that I find, is that people seem to think if they are not flat footed on a bike, its not good. I am not flat footed on my kx125, and I do just fine.. When you are riding, you arent flat footed, and if you ever do have to put a foot or two down, your tippy toes are all you need. I felt a little intimidated when I first got my KX125 since it was a little big, not to mention the wicked power. But you get used to it, and I actually like riding a little bigger bike. I think you will be more than fine with the KDX-220. Youll get more than used to it!

And I deffinetly wouldnt want to go with a CRF-230 over a KDX220/200.

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Tiylu said:
I really cant understand your not fitting on the KDX. The KDX-220 is 36.2 inches seat height, while my KX-125 is 37 something.. and I am about the same weight and height as you.

One common misconception that I find, is that people seem to think if they are not flat footed on a bike, its not good. I am not flat footed on my kx125, and I do just fine.. When you are riding, you arent flat footed, and if you ever do have to put a foot or two down, your tippy toes are all you need. I felt a little intimidated when I first got my KX125 since it was a little big, not to mention the wicked power. But you get used to it, and I actually like riding a little bigger bike. I think you will be more than fine with the KDX-220. Youll get more than used to it!

And I deffinetly wouldnt want to go with a CRF-230 over a KDX220/200.

It was sorta big and the 6500$ out the door price scared me :(

and the dealer was really pushy and really didnt like that what so ever. I can get a CRF230F for 3600-3800 $ out the door. and im really wanting to spend the least money I can, and 4000$ to 4500 is the HIGHEST I wanna go, when I talked to my parents about bike pricing they said sure but not over 4500 so I didnt figure in the out the door pricing when I looked at bikes and thats where I got confused :(

if I cant find a nice bike in this range ill settle with a decent 4-wheeler like a 400ex cause the honda dealer was saying he will cut me a great deal on a racing quad lol.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Go to a different Kawasaki dealer. If you can, try to find a leftover bike (brand new, never been ridden, but older model year) because dealers are usually willing to deal, plus KDXs haven't changed since 95.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
ShagsSupra said:
It was sorta big and the 6500$ out the door price scared me :(

and the dealer was really pushy and really didnt like that what so ever. I can get a CRF230F for 3600-3800 $ out the door. and im really wanting to spend the least money I can, and 4000$ to 4500 is the HIGHEST I wanna go, when I talked to my parents about bike pricing they said sure but not over 4500 so I didnt figure in the out the door pricing when I looked at bikes and thats where I got confused :(

if I cant find a nice bike in this range ill settle with a decent 4-wheeler like a 400ex cause the honda dealer was saying he will cut me a great deal on a racing quad lol.

Go to another dealer for sure. Thats rediculous. Also I second the look for a leftover.

Both those prices are a little much to pay, but maybe its just because I only payed 3800$ for my kx-125 2003 leftover. When the 05s come in, the 04s need to get out, so take advantage of some leftover models, you can save a lot of money. And quads are even more expensive!

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Bleh another problem my parents are BARLY into this idea and its on there credit so gettign them to travel is a no X_X only 2 dealers in town, 1 is suziki and honda, the other is yamaha and kawasaki, And this place for the kawasakis are outragiously priced.

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Also the CRF230F scares me cause it weights so much X_X, I know this sounds weird coming froma 17 year old, but there is a Rm85 at the dealer used for 2000$ Im like 5'6 and 110-120 pounds hell I dono I am very small for my age I seriously look 12 X_X Just last year I was 99 pounds, and my girlfriends walmart scale says im 109 but she says its off a bit and I weight more so im guessing its in the 110-120 range.

But the Rm85 I can stand flatfooted on it and my friend says with a pipe and a bit of goodies I can keep up with 125's

I am thinking about it a little bit cause I can always ride it till I out grow it and get a new 1 and im not worried about getting a new 1 later on down the road I know its gonna come no matter what I get, also there is an xr200 i fit on better than the crf230f, But I donno the weight of the xr200 or anything abut it either.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
ShagsSupra said:
Also the CRF230F scares me cause it weights so much X_X, I know this sounds weird coming froma 17 year old, but there is a Rm85 at the dealer used for 2000$ Im like 5'6 and 110-120 pounds hell I dono I am very small for my age I seriously look 12 X_X Just last year I was 99 pounds, and my girlfriends walmart scale says im 109 but she says its off a bit and I weight more so im guessing its in the 110-120 range.

But the Rm85 I can stand flatfooted on it and my friend says with a pipe and a bit of goodies I can keep up with 125's

I am thinking about it a little bit cause I can always ride it till I out grow it and get a new 1 and im not worried about getting a new 1 later on down the road I know its gonna come no matter what I get, also there is an xr200 i fit on better than the crf230f, But I donno the weight of the xr200 or anything abut it either.

Deffinetly DONT go with an 85. Way too small for you. They deffinetly are powerful bikes, but honestly, when I ride my friends 85s, they are fun to ride, but you get tired of the power after a little while, while with my 125, I still have yet to find a use for all of this things power. But main reason, your a little old, and too big for an 85. 85s are meant for the mini-mxer looking to get started, kids around 10-13 years old and kids barely 5 feet tall.

And dont take this the wrong way, but your friend seems like one of those guys that doesent know all that much about actual bike mechanics, and think they can magically put an fmf pipe and silencer combo, and add a bunch of frivilous 'big brand' accesores on an 80 and make it as fast as a 125. Never take advice from those types of people. I never understood the whole my bike can beat your bike thing anyway. An experienced lower class rider can "beat" a less experienced higher class rider any day, as if there were ever some strange two person competition.

Also, I dont think its such a good idea to buy a bike with initial plans to just grow out of it.

Feb 28, 2004
I agree, dont get the 80/85 bike. Way too small for you, you would grow out of it in a couple months time. Try to get a brand new leftover 125 two stroke. They usually drop the price about $1,000 when they become leftovers and that would put you right at what you were intending to spend. I would buy new for sure, and I reccomend a two stroke. Then taking into consideration how much money you want to spend, a new leftover 125 would be perfect for you. Price, size, and power would all work out for you. Go check out all the 125s, YZ, CR, RM, and KX. Find a new leftover, in the color you like :laugh:, and work a deal. Oh yea, like Tiylu said, an 80 with modifications still wont run with a 125. It would have a better shot, but will still lose. Mike :cool: :ride:

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
yeah I might just look into a 125, I want a new 1 but I might have to get my dad to get a personal loan and get a fairly new used 1, 99 yz125 low hours never raced, as stated in the paper for 1500$, sould like a great deal but ima fan of kawasaki green :D might just have to look into it alot more tho cause id deffinatly be happy with it.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Just FYI, around Christmas time of 2003, I got a KX-125 for $3800 final price on a 03 leftover model. Look for some leftovers for sure! New bikes may say they cost $5100, but they come out to being close to 6 with all the stuff they get you for.

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
Well I cant wait till christmas I need dirtbike now!!! and well I dont mind financing it and the prices going up cause they wont atleast within 8-9 months Ill have it paid for with money outta the trust fund. :-D

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You'll probably find the 125 is taller than the 250's as well. BTW, a lot of people ride that are on tip-toes. You can also look into getting it lowered (professionally/correctly) by a good suspension shop ( http://mx-tech.com ). It won't be cheap, but it'll be done right. Shaving down the seat foam is also an option. Maybe that would be enough?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom