What brought me to the dark side

Ya know, I've owned several bikes in my life, pretty much every color... but NONE have come even close to being as much fun as this one. Ever gotten a new bike and wondered if you made the right choice? That's usually my problem, but not this time! With good tires (756's), suspension and decent gearing (50 tooth), it's about as good as it gets.

Gotta post a pic!

Baby Blue :)

Definetly sounds familiar Okie. Just got my 98 YZ400F a couple weeks ago and I love it. My bike before was a KDX200, it was alright and a good woods machine, but I never imagined how awesome a bike could be until I rode the YZF. It's just awesome, perfect suspension, good handling, awesome motor, what else could I need. I haven't yet ridden a 250F, but they look like a ton of fun. The bike looks great Okie and I'm likin the new graphics. Enjoy the bike and good luck. Long live the darkside :cool: ! BTW, I've got some pics of my new ride in my sig, although they're not as nice as Okie's :(

Mort, what are you talking about man! That 426 looks great!

the wr250f is an awesome machine. rode my friends last weekend and had a blast, even on the fire roads. want to buy one this week

Thanks Okie. I noticed the frame guards you put on the 250F in the pic, looks like that 3M grip tape stuff unless I'm seeing things :scream: same thing I put on the 400F which I'll get pics of tommorow. Good stuff and definetly gets the job done for cheap. The blue paint seems to rub off really easy with these bikes. The 400F runs great and looks pretty good, but I definetly think a new set of graphics would help. The 250F looks like an awesome bike. The weight of the 400 is probably my only complaint about the bike and the 250F definetly looks like it would take care of that, and the motor would be enough for me considering I definetly don't use the 400 to it's full potential. Now all I have to do is convince a riding bud to get the 250F so I can pawn rides off of him :p Congrats on the bike man, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
Very nice looking job, Okie.
Helps to staple that cover on first, don't it! :D

Your bike looks good too, mort....you need DRN Swingarm stickers (g)

The grip tape is nothing more than the stuff (normal) people put on steps and the like, got it at Sears for $2.00 if I recall, holds up fairly well. Tough on boots, roughs them up, but that's a good thing... short of using velcro to keep a grip, it works pretty well ;)

Yes it does pay to put the seat cover on first. Then, you'll end up with a matching pattern on BOTH sides, unlike my bike :think . Next time.

scar tissue

Lifetime Sponsor
Okie,

I'm glad your stoked with your new bike :) I was just curious how the power drop was from the cr500 you used to ride. I imagine its gotta be huge. I know the new bikes probrably alot more nimble (which is always fun) Is it as quick? What about climbing hills? I used to ride a CR500 now have an XR600 and am always considering getting a lighter bike, but do not want to lose a ton of power. What your opinion?

Is it as quick? What about climbing hills?
250F has just over half the HP of the CR500AF and weighes just a little less (15lbs?). What conclusion can you draw? The 500 will SMOKE the 250. :scream:

Here's a pic of the 3M grip tape on my 400F, Grip tape . It works pretty well but is a bit rough on the boots, but no big deal. I got mine at home depot by the foot. Pretty good deal and looks alfight.

Okie, would you say you're faster on the 250F or CR500AF, or does it totally depend on riding conditions? I realize the actual bike with the 500AF is a lot faster than the 250F, but I could easily see being faster on the 250F on a tighter track where too much power isn't needed and the 500AF is overkill. I've got to get a ride on one of these things, they look like a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Graphics

Hello Okie!
Your bike looks awesome, I was wondering what make are the graphics and #
plate backgrounds. I have a WR250F and I rode on a motocross for my first time (I normally trail ride) and the bike was right at home on the track. I think its one of the most versatile bikes that can be used almost anywhere.
Strach

It is good to see you are still running the stock exhaust system, which is pretty good. Good power, but not too loud. I think too many aftermarket systems for the 426's/250f's are even too loud for a closed course application. Yours is a little more "polished" than mine - I have been riding it hard and regular since I got it. With the exception of new springs, renthals, and an o-ring chain it is completely stock. I can't believe how fast this thing wears out front tires!

Well, as we all know, it is better to face the dark side :)

factory effex and socal did the pre-printed numbers/backgrounds.