Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
It wasn't moto related I swear!
It's been close to two weeks since I hopped out of the motorhome, right foot first, into a small hole. I remember hearing 3 distinct pops as I hit the ground, along with a few choice syllables. It was about an hour before I sat down and propped it up, all the time it was hurting pretty badly. 30 minutes later I found myself crawling down the hall to get in bed. After a couple of hours of tossing and moaning I got up and put some sports rub stuff on it and wrapped it tightly with an ace bandage and popped a couple of Tylenol. An hour later I took the bandage off cause it was too tight. I was able to stand the next morning but it sure did hurt. The following days my walking improved but the pain is still there, especially after I stand on it for a while. There is no comfortable position when it starts hurting.

It never really became swollen or bruised and it's not my ankle. The pain seems to be about an inch below the ankle joint. I've been riding twice since my injury and other than being a little tender, my boots seem to provide adequate support though I pay for it the next day. Also if I step on anything in the arch of my foot, without good support, the pain is fierce. I was just curious if I could have fractured or broken a bone in my foot.
btw, outside of right foot about an inch below the ankle .

jas1448

Apr 18, 2004
Jeff Gilbert said:
It wasn't moto related I swear!
It's been close to two weeks since I hopped out of the motorhome, right foot first, into a small hole. I remember hearing 3 distinct pops as I hit the ground, along with a few choice syllables. It was about an hour before I sat down and propped it up, all the time it was hurting pretty badly. 30 minutes later I found myself crawling down the hall to get in bed. After a couple of hours of tossing and moaning I got up and put some sports rub stuff on it and wrapped it tightly with an ace bandage and popped a couple of Tylenol. An hour later I took the bandage off cause it was too tight. I was able to stand the next morning but it sure did hurt. The following days my walking improved but the pain is still there, especially after I stand on it for a while. There is no comfortable position when it starts hurting.

It never really became swollen or bruised and it's not my ankle. The pain seems to be about an inch below the ankle joint. I've been riding twice since my injury and other than being a little tender, my boots seem to provide adequate support though I pay for it the next day. Also if I step on anything in the arch of my foot, without good support, the pain is fierce. I was just curious if I could have fractured or broken a bone in my foot.
btw, outside of right foot about an inch below the ankle .
Jeff,

The three pops you heard was the ligiment coming off the bone. My son did this while playing basketball. We took him to PT and the guy asked him how many pops he heard. My son only poped two off. Tome will heal this, but you may want to see a doc.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
jas1448 said:
Jeff,

The three pops you heard was the ligiment coming off the bone.
Thanks for replying. I was still wondering what's wrong, though I haven't been to the doc yet. I have full range of motion and it's not as agonizingly painfull as it was but it's still extremely bothersome. The bad part is other parts of my body (heel on right foot & other foot and ankle) are sore from compensating for the foot that's hurt.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Sorry to hear that Jeff. But hey at least you aint got chaffed armpits from crutches. I know what you mean about compensating with your other foot. I'm recovering from 6 broken bones in my left foot and two broken wrists (scaphoids). Ive had fun trying to use crutches. Good luck and I hope you have a quick recovery.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I broke a metatarsal once when I stepped into a mudhole carrying a bunch of heavy gear. It broke about 2 inches up my foot from my middle toe. Those bones are smaller around than pencils. Probably the only thing keeping us from breaking them often is they flex slightly when heavy loads are placed on them.
I wasn't casted when I broke mine, but I was on crutches for about a month and then had to have a stiff wooden insole placed in my shoes so that bone wouldn't flex when I walked for another 2-3 weeks.

Top Bottom