Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
I have some questions about building jumps. I have about 46 acres of whicj are all rolling fields. I have no woods. I also have a New Holland turbo diesel skidloader, I forgot what the model is but it is preety big. I also have a big backhoe with a frontloader and a John Deere 4510 tractor with bucket and scraping thing on back. I am looking to bulid some small doubles, about 35ft to 45ft. What would be the best to scrape up the dirt and bulid the jumps? I am thinking the skidloader would be the best for building the jumps. What should I use to scrape the dirt up with, because i dont want to buy the dirt. Should i scrape it when wet or totally dry. Also if anyone has built jumps with a bobocat, skidloader, or similar could i see some pics. If only i had a highlift. :ugg:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Quickest thing is to use the backhoe to dig a pond and use the dirt for the rest of the track. Dig the biggest pond you can, because you will use lots of dirt. Study up on pond building before you get started so that you end up with something usable instead of an unsightly mudhole. BTDT. When you get done, you have dirt for the track and will soon have water source to water the track.

Tabletops are much safer and just as fun, but they take lots and lots of dirt. I have a 65 foot tabletop and a 60 foot double. The tabletop is a funner jump and more technical jump because of the way I built it. The takeoff and landing are basically the takeoff and landing from an SX triple, but I filled in the gaps with the takeoff extending about two feet above the surface of table, so don't believe that you have to have a double to get the adrenaline factor.

Pile the dirt up and use the skidloader and buckets on the tractor and front loader to move the dirt where you need it. Use the skidloader to shape the jumps. Backdragging will be the way you finish the jumps. Hardest part for you without a tracked vehicle will be packing the entire jump down. You will have to make jumps more rounded.

Take a bushog and mow the track into the field. Ride it to make sure the layout works and is fun without jumps. Then figure out where you need jumps to enhance the track. Leave yourself a highspeed straight or two and build some sweeping turns.

Go to www.dirtwurx.com to read the track building tips. The whoop building lesson is spot on.

Tendancy is to make the jumps too steep. When you are on the equipment, the jumps don't seem as steep as they do when launching them on a bike.

I've found the blade on the back of the tractor to be of little use. You will need to get a disc to groom the track though. You should be able to find a good used 14 footer for around $1000 or you can get a smaller (7-8 foot) 3-point disc for less. It takes longer to groom with the smaller one and I think the bigger, heavier unit does a better job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom