Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
I just finished building a bigger jump at my place. I have hit bigger jumps before but most the jumps at the tracks in this area are table tops or triples. The jump I'm speaking of is a 50ft double standing about 10ft high landing is about 25ft long and stands 8ft tall. I'm wondering when your working to hit a double what should you base your speed at so you make it?. I have gone over it a couple times to get the feel for the angle. so any advice?.

Matt

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
First, I try to find someone that is jumping it on a similar bike and ask them what they are doing, but since this is a newly constructed jump, you probably don't have that option.

I usually look at the jump and like you get a feel for the takeoff. I'll also see what it takes to jump to the base of the landing. If you can jump to the side of the landing, that will also give you a good feel. Using either way, you then have to plan on a little bit more to clear the jump. It's usually easier to overjump than to come up short. Then it's a matter of what it takes to jump similar sized jumps.

I would imagine that this will be a third gear pinned or fourth gear midrange jump on a 125. Just be careful and work up to it.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would suggest finding a fast/crazy friend and have them do it first. I always like to see someone else jump something before I try it.

Things I have learned to pay attention to when watching someone else hit a jump:
  • Best approach (smooth line, berm usage, etc)
  • Where to hit jump (Jump is not likely to be exactly uniform all the way across. It might have a worn, more gently sloping section in the middle that allows/requires greater speed and less height and steeper, taller sides that throw you higher and slower...or not :) )
  • Which gear
  • Type of bike (better if same/similar to yours)
  • How hard they are on the gas
  • RPMs (being hard on the gas at low RPMs is significantly different than at high RPMs)
  • Clutch usage
  • Preloading / Unloading of suspension
  • Body position on takeoff, in air, and landing
  • Longitudinal trajectory (low and fast or high with more loss of speed)
  • Lateral trajectory (Most jumps that you hit on the left will land you on the left, but some will make you drift to one side or the other. This is especially important to consider when riding in traffic)
  • Kick (how does the suspension react on takeoff)
  • Corrections in air (what corrections they make in the air implies what they did wrong on the approach and takeoff)
  • Desired angle for landing
  • How hard of a landing
  • How does clearing the jump set you up for next obstacle (both speed and desired line for next jump or turn)
  • Where/When can you safely verify that there isn't a rider down in the landing area (Usually a turn or two before you can look ahead and make sure it's clear).
  • How good of a rider was that that just made it.
Yeah, it's more than anyone will consciously try to evaluate when watching someone else hit a jump that you want to do, but if any of them are way outside the norm, they'll probably jump out at you.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
If you can't get any crazies :confused: to do it first then the best you can do is roll it a few times then just go...no second thoughts. I've always got the attitude "WTF am I waiting for you WUSSIE? Now is the time so BRING IT ON!!! (even if it kills me :think: )"

lol...those crazy canucks ;)

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Eventually, I will just hit it as fast as I can go as long as their is not a corner right before it or sevier consequences for overjumping. Like an immediate corner with a fence on the other side :scream:

Top Bottom