Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok i got my Kawasaki Ke 100, just replaced to top end, im happy.

But when i go threw the gears, and when i hit like mid second up till 4th gear is will go like normal and then all of a sudden just rev up really high without going any faster. BUT, if i let off and give it just a little bit more gas it will catch and then go normal till i punch it. And the warmer it gets, the earlier it will do it (like early second gear)

So what do you think it is?

Thanks
~(V)opar

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
It's still the clutch.

It probably didn't have the torque to make it slip before you did the top end. Try adjusting it first. There should be a little freeplay in the lever.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Moparman1539 To adjust it do i just tighen the screw?[/QUOTE said:
First, loosen the adjuster knob on the clutch lever until there is about 3/8" freeplay in the lever.
If there is an adjuster screw on your engine case, loosen it or back it off a little. Refer to your manual for this. If you don't have a manual it would be in your best interest to buy one.

If the cable is too tight and the adjuster screw is too tight it will keep the clutch plates from engaging.

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Make sure you have a little free play in the clutch lever, 1/8 inch of slack when the lever is released that way the clutch in the engine is fully engaged.

More likely, getting the engine freshened up and generating more power has revealed that the clutch was weak.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Agree... you need to get a manual, one of those just do it things. What you learn from this manual will apply to many of the issues with other bikes you might get in the future (principles and fundamentals thing). While it sounds as if the clutch plates/fibres are worn you also want to check to make sure your using the right viscosity oil. Slipping when warm is common to wearing clutch surfaces, to low viscosity clutch oil will prove the same symptoms.
Good Luck... again, get a manual you'll need it sooner than later.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok, ill look at it soon.

And i was going to buy a manual, but my dad said it was a wast of money, and that i didnt need to spend the $30.00 on it. But he is full of crap, He laught at e when i said i had to break it in.. And i did. And he laughed at me when i told him the dirtbike was about to blow up, and guess what happend.. Yea, when i get the money ill go order one.

thanks

~(V)opar

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Take it easy on your dad... call it respect to get it you've got to give it. Advice: my mom past away not to long ago... I'm 51 and while I had a good life and she raised me well it still bug's me when I think of how I lost touch with her. Your dad may have good reasons for not listening to you or not wishing to get you the manual I don't know, what I do know is a bike or bike manual isn't worth losing the relationship. I'm not busting your chops or anything... just wouldn't wish something like a bike to make you think less of your pop.

$30 bucs can be a lot of money... post or mail me the exact make and year of your bike, I'll see what I can do and if I can't help out maybe another bike brother can.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Im not going to lose my relationship its just that i do know what im talking about most of the time. Hes philosophy is "If it ain't broken don't fix it" Well if i know its going to break, i should fix it because if it does break, im going to spend alot more of MY money fixing it. And he will not trust me with ANYTHING. It is kind of annoying... Life lives on, it is something i have to deal with and it sucks. He is my stepdad, and ive known him for about 10 years (im 15) but i talk to my real dad all the time. I still love him he take me snowboarding alot, and lets me do things, but he is cheap. and everything i mentioned above.

But its a 2000 Kawasaki KE100. It's stock (besides WIESCO Piston) But i is pretty hard to find information about my bike. And parts.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Moparman1539 said:
its just that i do know what im talking about most of the time. (im 15) QUOTE]

:laugh: Sorry Moparman, I'm not bustin your chops either. I just found that to be a little humorous. :rotfl: As you get older, you will find that your parents will get smarter. :nod:

As far as the manual goes, look at one of the online auction sites for a used one.

timberguy

May 10, 2006
Some folks believe that using automotive oil instead of MC oil will make "wet clutches" more prone to slip. I don't know whether yours is the wet kind. The bottle should be labeled "2T" for 2-stroke or "4T" for 4-stroke engines.

First try adjusting the cable like the others say. There should be a hex or knurled lock nut on the adjuster that you need to loosen and back off a bit. This is usually at the end by the lever, and if you run out of adjustment, look for a way to take up slack somewhere else on the cable. If you find that, undo what you did at the top before going further at the bottom.

A person's riding technique is a factor; if you tend to make quick starts, do wheelies, make fast shifts, etc. that can accelerate clutch wear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom