What is a Good Replacement Oil for Mobil 1 MX2T?

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
What is a good substitute for this oil? I am primarily interested in something that is readily available with outstanding engine protection (anti-wear properties). Lack of carbon buildup and smoking would be secondary concerns.

Jaybird, I would like to have your comments on this if possible.

Thanks.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Stay away from Castor based oils and your secondary concern won't be an issue.

I've had great results with Amsoil Dominator. Readily available is a different story. The Amsoil I mentioned is purchased at wholesale and I buy a case at a time.

The Honda full synthetic 2 stroke oil is available at any Honda dealer nationwide. It will be interesting to hear Jaybirds take on that one. It just might be what your looking for.

Why are you switching from M1, it's on the shelf at every Wal-Mart in the country?

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Why are you switching from M1, it's on the shelf at every Wal-Mart in the country?

Mobil has discontinued production of MX-2T. None of the Walmarts around here carried the oil, I obtained it through my local O'Reillys AutoParts store.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I used M1 for a good while, then couldn't find it locally any longer. I switched to HP2 and didn't see any differences, good or bad. FWIW

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
If you like it and it makes your bike warm and fuzzy then but a few cases before the remaining stock goes away. The shelf life will out live all of us...

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
magneto said:
Your link shows "Discontinued Product, No Stock Remaining"

Dang... you're right. Glad I bought the 4-stroke. ;) Look around online though... you should be able to find a few quarts.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Tony, I found a few quarts at Autozone last month. Do you guys want to flag at Delmarva? We are doing 3 races for Walt. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

Thanks, Steve.

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
I've been using Yamaha 2-stoke oil for the past few years but switched to Repsol late last year. Seems to burn cleaner with less smoke out the pipe but I haven't checked the power valve or torn down the top end to see if there are any deposits. I did use some Castor based stuff (Blendzall and Maxima 927) a few years ago and the guys following me loved the smell but it left heavy deposits on my power valve so I stopped using it.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
BigRedAF said:
Stay away from Castor based oils and your secondary concern won't be an issue.

I don't think castor causes any more carbon build up than most other oils. Depending on how your engine performs, it can lead to a varnish-like buildup. When jetted properly and ran at proper temperatures, it really doesn't do much of that either, in my experience. Some people a whole lot smarter than me, believe it may actually give you better protection at very high temperatures than synthetics ( albeit that "protection," instead of flashing off, may be what leads to the "varnish" buildup).
Six of one, half dozen of another.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
2strokerfun

Sorry friend but castor based oils do carbon up more. They do offer outstanding protection as well. They also separate at low temps. Guys that run pure castor based oils generally run higher concentrations than guys running conventional or synthetic oils.

Blendzall was used by a professional flat track friend of mine, He ran it in his sons MX bikes for quite some time just because he had a large supply. Once power valve engines came around he had to get off that program because of carbon build up and all the extra time he was spending cleaning up that mess.

Maxima 927 has or had a castor base, I don't pay much attention to it anymore because I'm very satisfied with the oil that I use.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Every Auto Zone type store I've been to carries the Mobile 1. I think just some of the larger businesses dropped it because I haven't seen it anywhere else in a while.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007

Redrodent

Jul 31, 2002
As a replacement, considering price, protection, and cleanliness, I came up with Klotz R-50. Not from the "because I like it" crowd, but from people who would go through a dedicated top end or two, trying one oil at a time. That's how I came to use Mobil at the beginning .

DaddGoneMadd

Apr 23, 2000
I would lean towards Maxima products, just because Dick Lechein is so honest about what to expect out of different lubes. Not like like Amway-sorry Amsoil.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
DaddGoneMadd said:
I would lean towards Maxima products, just because Dick Lechein is so honest about what to expect out of different lubes. Not like like Amway-sorry Amsoil.
I totally agree, 927 or nothing, well maybe some Xamax, but that is not cheap! Who remembers the gold label blendsall? One of them claimed to have nitro methane in it, if I remember what blew up my engine!

Top Bottom