what kind of power does a cr125 put out?

lippy8

Jun 28, 2010
hey im new to the sport and was wondering if i should go for a cr125 or jump right up to a 250 to save the cash. How long would you say it takes to grow out of the power? i would mainly use it for just ripping around doing hill climbs a few trails and going to the track the odd day. im 16, 5'6 and 150 pounds. i have a little bit of experiance on bikes but not a ton.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Start with a 125.
They are fun bike, have plenty of power and are really not heavy.
250 is for racing, if all you want is a bike to play around go with the 125.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Absolutely, go with the 125. A 125 teaches you to be a much better rider in so many different ways, where as a 250 will often times make you weary and at times scared of it so you never learn how to use the bikes motor and power correctly. You end up fouling a whole lot of plugs because you ride it way down low in the rpm's in order to keep it tame, but that's no way to ride a smoker. Get the 125, it will take you years to learn how to use that bike to even 75% of its capabilities.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
but if you want to pull up next to your buddy on the trail while hes on a 125 in 4th gear, give him a quick wave and wheelie out of his sight, get the 250.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Hill climb? Not a 125.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Patman hit the nail on the head....a 125 2 stroke is NOT a trail bike..they have very little low end power...they are NOT geared for the trail...etc, etc. If you are going to ride trails, buy a trail bike...simple.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
jb_dallas said:
Patman hit the nail on the head....a 125 2 stroke is NOT a trail bike..they have very little low end power...they are NOT geared for the trail...etc, etc. If you are going to ride trails, buy a trail bike...simple.

I've ridden plenty of 125's on trails, all it takes is practice and good throttle/clutch control. There's a reason many trials riders use 125cc 2strokes. I think they're plenty capable, you just have to understand how to use the power where they make it...

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I dont disagree that good throttle and clutch control helps, but why a 125? There are so many reasons why a 125 2t is a poor trail bike...lack of low end power, geared wrong, small gas tank limits range, no light, etc. Of course, one can ride a 125 on the trail, I wont argue that point. I can also ride my WR426 down the interstate if it were tagged, does that make it a good street bike? No. I dont know one serious trail rider that rides a 125 2t...250 2t is a whole different story.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Patman said:
Hill climb? Not a 125.
A 150lb kid can hillclimb a 125 just fine. All you need is enough of a run to get it on the pipe and it'll go anywhere. Now put a 190 or 200lb guy on it and you'll have a problem. I rode a RM 125 for about 4 years in high school. I was about the same size as lippy8. It never seemed to bog too bad and pulled hard in the midrange. It worked fine in the trails as long I kept my speed up, it was hard to keep up sometimes as I couldn't really touch the ground. We have some pretty wild steep hillclimbs around here that can be a hundred or more feet up. That little 125 would scream right up any of them. Obviously a good rear tire essential to a successful climb but powerwise I think 125 would be fine. The fun factor out in a feild is like 100 times better than a trail bike too. So I say if your trails are fairly open and you ride pretty hard a 125 works fine. Sure an XR200 would be easier to ride, more appropriately sized and much less maintenance but as soon as you start to ride hard you realize it's limits. It's a compromize, like just about everything else in life. I'm sure you'll love which ever bike you buy, which can be seen by all the people that recommend everyone buy the same bike they have, lol. Just keep in mind a race bike requires a much higher budget to keep running.

Top Bottom