BigJack

Jun 28, 2005
I need a new rear sprocket. I want a little more torque so I want more teeth than stock. What should I get 50 or 51 teeth. Also would a KX 250 sprocket and chain work? Thanks......

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
BigJack said:
I need a new rear sprocket. I want a little more torque so I want more teeth than stock. What should I get 50 or 51 teeth. Also would a KX 250 sprocket and chain work? Thanks......

You have a 200 as opposed to a 220, so you won't have to deal with the bit more low end torque, but just a bit of warning :) going from the stock 47 tooth to a 50 is not a small difference...

If you've done porting to your machine and all the attendant performance bells and whistles you'll definitely have to make an adjustment to your throttle style...

I put a 50 tooth rear on my 220 and speed was noticeably down, the gap between 3rd and 4th was not as abrupt, and wheelie-ing became something I had to be "careful" about, particularly climbing where it became MUCH easier to loft the front wheel especially unintentionally :)

Your rear sprocket also becomes slightly more vulnerable to damage because its larger and "closer" to things you run over... If you really want to go 3 teeth bigger on your rear, why not go one tooth smaller on your front sprocket instead? It will be the same ratio... Oh wait.. I forgot, you needed to replace the rear... Well at least the front's are cheap if you don't like the ratio (you could get back to stock by going one bigger on the front sprocket if you have the clearance...)

Oops, almost forgot... If its time to replace your sprockets don't forget to check your chain for wear...

Good Luck!

Feanor

BigJack

Jun 28, 2005
Actually the sprocket on the bike right now is a 48 tooth so I figured 50 would be ok. The chain looks good and the front sprocket is new at least according to the previous owner. I'll probably do the whole thing next year but the rear sprocket is really bad. It needs to go now. I've done a sprocket changes on a sportbike and a 4 stroke dirt bike and liked the effect. It's one of the cheapest ways to feel like you did something to the engine. So I think I'll try a 50 tooth. No sense in going overboard.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom