What rear tire to use on 220?

TGR

Apr 1, 2001
Today, I was riding some fairly moist and greasy technical trails. I have the stock Dunlop K695 rear tire. I couldn't seem to get very good traction. The bike is new and only had 49 miles when I started the ride. Is this tire mainly used for hard rocky stuff? Any suggestions on what tire fits this riding condition the best?

Also, anyone else have problems with the way the rear brake lever is set up? To me, it seems too high. The pedal sits just above the foot peg. I was constantly hammering the rear brake, which exaserbated my rear traction problem. Thanks,

Tom

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i use the michelin s-12 and many other people do to
stock tires are for rocky -hard terran for the size
130/80 18 or 140/80 18 and you really need to change the
front also to a s-12 it will really make a differance on your
front tire washing out with the stocker:cool: :D

bud

Jun 29, 1999
S12's are good, but don't forget the dunlops. I personally like to mix and match, with an s12 rear and a dunlop 756 front.

Re the rear brake, it's easy to change the height of the lever, but the current level is close to what the pros say is a good starting point. At least if you use the semics foot position advice - keep the balls of your feet on the pegs, unless you are rear braking or shifting, or bottoming out the suspension on a jump landing or g-out. When you want to brake or shift, lift your foot, then move it back when you are done... Sounds ungainly, but it works :). The problem with lowering your lever is that you won't be able to reach it when you are in the usual braking position - standing up and leaning back. Unless you have crap boots and a double jointed ankle that is :D .

Last edited:

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
Dunlop 756

I'm very impressed with the 756 on the rear as opposed to the stock tire. I couldn't believe how much more traction I had on the greasy stuff. I've also heard that they wear really good too.

TGR

Apr 1, 2001
Another question..

Since I ride in all conditions, but mostly soft terrain, which tire, the s-12 or the k756 would be better for all around traction?

Tom

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Both are great

Both of them work very well in all situations. Just don't expect them to not be squirelly in blue grove at the local MX track. For regular riding, I like the S-12 but have been on the 752 and 756 and like them both also. It's just that the S-12 lasts a LONG time....

You should be able to find the S-12 for less than $55 before shipping from several internet sites. I buy mine from http://www.accwhse.com/ .
Good luck

keetkdx

Apr 18, 2000
I use trellborgs but I can't seem to find anyone that carries them anymore. have friends that say the 756 hooks up awesome and we ride all terrain. I'm going to get 756 for my next tire

Top Bottom