plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
I'm asking for advice on what motocrossers recommend for the type of chain to run. Specifically, O-ring or non-Oring.

Was surprised today at the track to find several old mx'ers who shunned O-ring chains. FWIW, the bike is a track only 250T--no trails.

Thanks in advance!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I've always junked the stock chain on my bikes, and went with x-ring or o-ring. They don't stretch near as much, and prolong the life of the sprockets. Also go with steel rear sprocket, for longer life. I do replace the sprockets and chain at the same time.

Unless there's a non-ring chain out there that doesn't stretch, I would go with x-ring or o-ring.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Stock standard chains run 25 to 35 dollars. If you get the more expensive standard chains, still cheaper than the grease filled trail chains, they do not stretch anywhere near the same amount. And maintenance, can't forget that. A lazy chain maintenance rider, get the grease filled chains. A loose dirty chain will wear faster. Throwing a new chain on worn sprockets will drastically shorten the chains life. Good, new sprockets, the RK gold chain, and good maintenance, the set will last a long time. Vintage Bob

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
...A lazy chain maintenance rider, get the grease filled chains.

Lazy maintence rider? I get made fun of by my friends from all the maintenance I do to my YZ, my quad, my car, and my truck.

Calling people lazy because they use an o-ring chain is just stupid.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Someone said:
Lazy maintence rider? I get made fun of by my friends from all the maintenance I do to my YZ, my quad, my car, and my truck.

i'd bet Bob wasnt calling anyone lazy, just saying if a person would prefer the OPTION of being a little more slack on chain maintenance the ringed is the way to go.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
How does one get personal on the internet, without saying names? Something in the air? NO! But, I did remember the other chain I liked, AFAM. Top notch chain and sprocket sets for about 120 dollars. I am anti ring for the anti horse power. Even these acclaimed mo better ring chains, the best they advertise is not as much hp loss as the old o ring. I will not even run them on my CR480. Ride for 15 or maybe 20 minutes, clean, oil and repeat. Vintage Bob

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Someone said:
Actually, he said that lazy people(those that do minimal maintenance) should use o-ring chains.

O-rings do last longer most of the time, but they rob a small amount of power due to increased friction. Life is a series of compromises, what is more important here, longevity, power, or money?

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
FruDaddy said:
Actually, he said that lazy people(those that do minimal maintenance) should use o-ring chains.

O-rings do last longer most of the time, but they rob a small amount of power due to increased friction. Life is a series of compromises, what is more important here, longevity, power, or money?

I'll admit....I'm lazy...and frugal. I use an X-Ring because it requires less maint. (see I won't even spell out words completely)
I would rather ride than fool with cleaning and lubing a regular style chain....and I ride a 125!! It doesn't rob that much HP when warmed up and lubed, and the longevity outweighs the perfomance loss by a good bit to me.

But that's just me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom