Kdx Chain & Sprocket Combo Questions

joelyles2004

Mar 5, 2004
What size sprockets can I use with an O-ring chain on my soon to be 2001 kdx 200? And what about with a regular non-oring type chain? I'm really worried about the chain rubbing the cases and chain guide.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've run both standard and o-ring 520 chains on my KDX and never had a case-rubbing problem. I haven't heard anyone mention a problem with a 520. A rear sprocket greater than 50T will rub into the chain guide, but that will wear in before it wears out.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
CaptainObvious said:
I've run both standard and o-ring 520 chains on my KDX and never had a case-rubbing problem. I haven't heard anyone mention a problem with a 520. A rear sprocket greater than 50T will rub into the chain guide, but that will wear in before it wears out.

Same here with the 520 o-ring/non-o-ring chains on my 04 KDX-220... I've run both and haven't had a problem with the chain guide or case.

O-ring chain is a bit wider than a standard chain though and the stock chain guide kind of "wears" the nice gold finish of the DID o-ring chains off... If that's important to you it can be significant :)

For me, I keep the O-ring (actually x-ring) DID chain as a backup, and now use a standard non-o-ring DID racing chain... Not that I have delusions of racing, but the tensile strength rating is much higher and I like to look at that from a reliability standpoint.

I ditched the o-ring because I have this tendency to keep my bike really clean (the wife thinks I'm obsessive compulsive) and I actually remove the chain after every other ride and give it a good cleaning in solvent before relubing (I've got a box FILLED with master link clips LoL!)... Taking the chain off also helps me to get at the otherwise inaccessible areas of the engine case for cleaning...

I also like the fact that the non-o-ring chains are far more pliable and operate with much less friction... although everyone will probably laugh at me, I swear I can feel the difference when I ride my bike with o-ring compared to non-o-ring... mainly in acceleration from low speed... Maybe the fact that the thinner non-o-ring also does not rub against the sides of the chain guide and that helps a bit as well...

As an aside, for those who think that its a huge advantage getting an o-ring chain standard with a 220 as opposed to a 200, I think they are in error... THe stock o-ring that you get with a 220 is JUNK! and it feels like a solid steel shaft would flex easier than it too! It was one of the first things I replaced...

anyhow... good luck to you!

Feanor

Top Bottom