What would cause the powerband to hit late?

Jun 12, 2005
right now my powerband hits so late in gear i have to change gears. What would cause this? The guy i bought it off said he rebuilt the engine. So what could he of done to make my bike like this? Im thinking its the tension of the power valve spring? But i dont no how to adjust this i still have to get a manual.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Give us a little more info, wait, make that a lot more info, for all I know right now you have a Monday Powerband that was installed on a Friday, wich doesn't work out at all.

Jun 12, 2005
Yah im going to get some aftermarket reeds installed but i think it has to do with the power valve spring. Someone had the same problem as me and said he adjusted the tension to stock settings and it brought his powerband back to midrange.

DirtDawg

Oct 16, 1999
I assume you are talking about a '91 CR125 ? If so, then yeah I would check the power valves. They can be a little tricky to get set right on that bike. They will tend to hang open when carbon, sludge builds up.

Check Eric Gorr's sight, I believe there is some info on there about the HPP valves.

My brother had a '91 years ago, that thing ripped ! One of the best running 125's in my opinon.

HTH's

Jun 12, 2005
yah but im new to riding so i could be wrong and the powerband could be fine. I really dont have a clue. If i take it into the shop what should i tell them? "Check my power valves for carbon and sludge build up and adjust the power valve spring" ? Oh and what should i tell them if i wnat them to jet my bike. If i took it to a shop would they change the jets in the carb too?

DirtDawg

Oct 16, 1999
I would suggest getting a manual (if you don't already have one) and doing some basic checks to see if the valves are closing all the way. If you don't feel comfortable doing your own work get a manual anyway, at least you can learn and have some idea how things on your bike work.

If you take it to the shop, explain to the mechanic the problem your having and they should be able to tell you if it's normal or not.

HTH's

Top Bottom