Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
I need to put together a small field tool bag for my KX250 that I would leave in the truck. Just wondering what some of the must have tools would be and what some of the nice to have tools would be. I figure the bag is the size of a lunch box.

So far I have zip ties, gloves, metric open end wrenches (10-14mm), Phillips/Flat head screw drivers, pliers, needle nose pliers, small cresent wrench, 1/4 in. drive socket set with two or three different extensions, a spark plug wrench (need to pick up some spark plugs), spoke wrench, a couple of bungy cords, and a length of nylon webbing incase a tie down breaks or gets lost or stolen.

Anything I have missed? Thanks for the suggestions.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Maybe a large cresent wrench for those big jobs, like adjusting chain/axle nuts.

njrealtor55

Sep 22, 2005
For Tool Bag:
safety wire, 1 bottle gear oil, 1 small bottle premix, small funnel, spare front and rear tube, tire irons....

and the most important: Grey Duct Tape

For Gear Bag: standard riding gear +
extra gloves, extra goggles, extra socks, spare change of clothes & sneakers

i usually overpack, but it is nice to know i can drive home in clean dry clothes. Also, one of my friends always seem to forget something. :nod:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
rmxtwofitty said:
Clutch & brake levers, Master link for your chain.

do people really break levers that often? i've been riding since about '84 and i've never broken a lever, nor a chain. not trying to make fun, just curious. i can only remember one time that i had to walk back to my truck (fouled plug).

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've never broken a lever (yay barkbusters) but I did manage to snap a master link, on an XR100R of all bikes. Carrying a spare master link is definitely a good idea. I usually carry enough tools to remove all plastics, carb, etc.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Levers? Nah, leave'm at home :p

Attachments

• levers.jpg
    levers.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 266

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
mx547 said:
do people really break levers that often? i've been riding since about '84 and i've never broken a lever, nor a chain. not trying to make fun, just curious. i can only remember one time that i had to walk back to my truck (fouled plug).

It seems like everytime me and my friends go riding someone breaks a lever although there is 2 people that seem to dominate in that regard.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
nuts bolts full safety kit asprin shovel in back of truck
(for the kids quad and to get my truck unstuck)
full socket and wrench set
(and as soon as i get a toolbox big enough a spare bike)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Spare cotter pins for the axles, if your bike uses them. Tire irons, and a patch kit or a pair of spare tubes. And something to inflate the tire with. Also, mechanics gloves in case you have to change a hot plug, and latex gloves for the messy stuff.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
me since i ride my bike down the road to a local gravel pit so i dont really pack nothing. if she breaks down, if i ever get outta the yard( ya i was all excited to go for a ride, i fired it up, blipped the throttle once she died, so i went to fire her back up and the kickstarter stayed down so i brought it back up and started to play with the throttle. and im twisting it and its feeling kinda "light". like there is no drag to it. and i cant hear the throttle plate close, cuz when you open the plate then close it you can usually hear the "tap" from the plate. so i knew right away that i had no throttle. so a call to the local kawi shop tomorrow i guess to order me a new cable.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
sucrets tin full of jets and needles, first aid kit , needle nose pliers , swiss army knife , lunchbox , spare 50$ bill and a good set of maps

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
oh yeah ........autozone has 100pcs. kits with assorted metric bolts, nuts ,washers for about 6bucks , get one!!

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
Figured I'd drag this thread back up to the top because I'm putting together a trail bag with a good selection of tools.
I picked up a WM brand camel back with a 2L water bladder and plenty of room to load up some good tools.
So far here's what I've thrown together.
spark plug and plug wrench
zip ties
going to buy a leatherman today
combo phillips/ reg screwdriver
crush proof cell phone case
altoids can with jets, bolts
combo 10, 12, 14mm triangular socket wrench
small led flashlight
lighter (may be a godsend if I get stuck far out and have to overnight)

What else???

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
oilspot said:
lighter (may be a godsend if I get stuck far out and have to overnight)

What else???
Replace that lighter with waterproof matches, or put it in a metal case with a closing lid. Plastic lighters can be broken, and a zippo will dry up over time.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
FruDaddy said:
Replace that lighter with waterproof matches, or put it in a metal case with a closing lid. Plastic lighters can be broken, and a zippo will dry up over time.
replace those matches with a flint and steel.

or a couple sticks.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
I've bent a few levers but never broken one. It's always a good idea to bring a spare bike. ;) Instead of taking a 50 doller bill I take some coins, it doesn't matter if they get wet. Also take some tobacco, if you come across a trouble it might be helpfull.

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
i carry most of the stuff you guys mentioned but zipties and a portable drill to stitch up broken plastic.

as far as lever breaking goes, i break alot of them, but do this so you can make it back to your truck without having to finish without a break or clutch: drill a hole about halfway down the lever so that when your lever hits only half of it falls off and the rest is left.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Sandjunky said:
I need to put together a small field tool bag for my KX250 that I would leave in the truck. Just wondering what some of the must have tools would be and what some of the nice to have tools would be. I figure the bag is the size of a lunch box.

So far I have zip ties, gloves, metric open end wrenches (10-14mm), Phillips/Flat head screw drivers, pliers, needle nose pliers, small cresent wrench, 1/4 in. drive socket set with two or three different extensions, a spark plug wrench (need to pick up some spark plugs), spoke wrench, a couple of bungy cords, and a length of nylon webbing incase a tie down breaks or gets lost or stolen.

Anything I have missed? Thanks for the suggestions.

Currently? Air. I refuse to take tools because it's motivation not to break down. Besides, I need to lose weight so pushing the bike back to the truck is good.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've only broken one clutch lever, but I was about 20 miles from nowhere. I took off my front brake lever and switched sides until I got it back to the truck. Of course, my handlebars were also at a 40 degree angle for that 20 miles.

You've got most of the basic tools covered in your list. I also carry a big hammer and a big pair of vise grips, just in case. Only had to use the hammer once to try and straighten a rear brake pedal that was bent 180 degrees. Have no idea how it happened, I ended up having to put it in a 2-ton press to straighten it until I got a new one. Vise grips have helped me straighten bent shift lever a couple of times. I now use a shifter with a folding tip.

Top Bottom