DannyReed

Aug 30, 2006
What is the best lodging option when you travel to ride?

Campground, Cabin/house, Motel?

I am sure all have advantages but I am curious what the general consensus is. What do you think the pros and cons of the choices avaiable. What do you look for and like about the lodging options. How do you find the best places to stay?

Thanks for any info

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
This is entirely impossible for me to answer for you or anyone else.
Personally I prefer campground in my trailer
Some people prefer tenting and others are not happy unless they are in a 4 star resort. Gotta go with what you like and can afford

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
For me travelling to ride is best in my Motorhome with enclosed trailer. Nothing beats camping at your destination instead of having to pack up at the end of each day and head back to a hotel where you worry about the bikes etc.

DannyReed

Aug 30, 2006
I am just getting into this so I guess the answer is you go with what you have. Both ways sounds like the way to go. I dont have a motor home tho haha. I have camped a lot and know it is a lot of work but I am a fisherman and the convenience of being at the lake was one thing that was the deciding factor. Then if you camp with a camper you have to pull a camper and ATV's over the mountain roads Then the work setting up and tearing down not to mention the prep b4 you go and clean up when you get home was worth it to be close to the lake. I know some towns let you drive your ATV in town... Cant drive a boat on the road ha ha I almost think a motel or cabin might be a better option for me. Cabins are more expensive than a motel but a motel takes care of cleaning and other things i.e. tv for weather ect. Since your there for riding It doesnt seem like a big deal to ride everywhere. I mean just park the truck and trailer when you get there you can ride your ATV to a resturant and a car wash on the way back to where your stayin. Seems like you could spend more time riding and a lot less time worrying about groceries and the like. When the week is over just load up and head home. Since I am new to this I just thought some input from veterans would be invaluable. Thanks for your input.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I like to stay in a camper. The one I enjoyed the most was my first one. It was only about 8 feet long and aluminum. I could disconnect it and push it into any spot. Unload my bike and I was ready to go. It was so easy to set up and take places. It was barebones inside, but that was just perfect for me. I used that trailer until the frame finally snapped on one trip and I had to junk it.

Now Ive got a toy hauler, which Is nice and comfy. But to tell you the truth I sure used that small crappy one a hell of a lot more. This new one takes a bunch of prep, is big and heavy and kills my gas mileage. I dont see how anyone would want like a 30 to 35 footer. That would be such a pain to use and park, I have some neighbors with a massive one and they use it like once a year. What a waste just to one up the Jones'.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
They make new tear drops now also. I have been thinking of getting one of those. 3 -4K for a brand new one. And they are pretty set up.

But it all depends on who you bring too. Some of the momma's have to have comfort. Whereas some guys dont have any comfort if the momma's go on the trip.

DannyReed

Aug 30, 2006
he he Like I said I am a fisheman and my first boat was a 14 foot jon boat about 3 feet wide, I fished before work and after work three or four days a week. then I moved up a couple times ended up with an 18 foot Astro with a 150. That really cut back on the fish I caught...you know you cant catch em sitting at home

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I think camping is the way to go......."home" right where you want to be. But a motorhome/camper trailer beats a tent any day! When pouring down rain or freezing cold, it sure is nice to hear that furnace "click" on! However, the old Winnebago gets 4-5 mpg........not too cost effective anymore.

RMZRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
i really don't have a problem camping, if you have a good tent and a cot so your not on the ground and a good sleeping bag, its real fun, plus its sometimes nice just to sleep outside

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
I am a tent camper, where ever I am riding. I have been doing this for 20+ years now. I use A great canvas tent (springbar) and a cot and sleepingbag. I like to camp near hot springs as much as I can for bathing. I keep my tent and sleepingbag in my truck all the time. Works for me.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
When I used to travel to races and race out of my pickup, I tried to get motels that had ground floor rooms so I could roll the bikes in. I never tried it, but a friend swears he got his through the lobby and into an elevator, once.

Top Bottom