whats the difference between.........

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I suppose it might vary from one location to another, but in District 37 (Southern California) :

From the D37 rule book:

A Grand Prix is a closed-course event. The
course should include both natural and graded or paved
terrain.

A Hare and Hound is a marked course over
natural-type terrain, 60 miles in length or longer.

Desert Scrambles: The same as Hare and Hound except the course
may be as short as 30 miles and repeated to make up a total
of at least 60 miles.

A European Scrambles is defined as a mass
start desert-type event. It shall be run over a closed course
6 to 16 miles in length with each event of definite time
duration, minimum of 45 minutes and a maximum of one
hour in length.

In my experience:
A Grand Prix is typically held at a location where there is a motocross track next to an "trail" area. The course goes around the track, out through a gate into the desert for a few miles and then back. The course is repeated a number of times. The trail section is usually fairly flat and non-technical.

The hare & Hounds that I have raced have been in open desert, about 90 miles in length. The course usually loops back to the start before taking off in a new direction so that you can refuel at the "pits" located near the start. Some classes will end after the first loop, others go the entire distance. There may be a short section of each "loop" that uses a common course with other loops but 99% is all new. There is usually a wide variety of terrain: flat, sand wash, uphills, downhills, tight single track, etc.

The scrambles are very similar to the Hare & Hound except the course is about 30 miles and is repeated two or three times.

Rod

Top Bottom