whats the little secret thats helped you the most

kawa929

Sep 24, 2005
I was just sitting here wondering what I should ask, I decided to ask a question the applies to anything. What is the best tip that you have heard that imroved your riding the most.

THX

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Just before you shut off for a corner, point your right index finger at the sky (without taking your hand off of course) then when you do shut off, you already have your finger on the brake lever. Less coasting = faster lap times. YZ165

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
confidence is key, riding scared will get you hurt

kawa929

Sep 24, 2005
hey thx guys i appreciate all your help cant wait to try them all out. Now thinking about it i dont think i look ahead at all i think im always focusing on the ground right in front. Also the finger up sounds like it will work because u have to chop the throttle just a bit earlier to get the breaking finger out there.
Now ive got that in mind to biglou i believe it will help...
thx to all of you..

Frank

Jul 31, 1999
ok, are you ready? I'm going to catch hell for this but here goes......

Focus on form, not speed. Decide before you even begin that you are going to use perfect technique. You will stand. You will weight the outside peg. You will stay centered on the bike.

Going slower=going faster.

Focus on your form and you will get faster. Now if only I would do this myself. LOL

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Frank said:
ok, are you ready? I'm going to catch hell for this but here goes......

Focus on form, not speed. Decide before you even begin that you are going to use perfect technique. You will stand. You will weight the outside peg. You will stay centered on the bike.

Going slower=going faster.

Focus on your form and you will get faster. Now if only I would do this myself. LOL

Yeah me too! If I ride really precise people blow by me like I'm going backwards. When I just nail I look sloppy but not that slow! :)

B

biglou

Frank nailed it. That's kind of what I was trying to say, I was just in a hurry! If I'm really trying to go faster, I talk myself through everything in my head, just like Frank mentioned. It's like golf for me, I have to talk myself through every step of it, either consciensiously or not. "Head down, eye on the ball, follow through" etc. I still usually duff it though. Kinda like my riding... ;)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
xsnrg said:
Fart on the uphills. It doesn't make you go up any faster, but you'll be grinning even more!

Interesting...:)

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
ellandoh said:
confidence is key, riding scared will get you hurt

Exactly, confidence lets you hit corners 3rd tapped instead of letting off, confidence lets you know that you will outbrake any and everyone into any given corner, no exceptions, confidence lets you know that even if you feel like your going to fast for a corner, pin it, you'll muscle it into the line.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
mxer842 said:
Exactly, confidence lets you hit corners 3rd tapped instead of letting off, confidence lets you know that you will outbrake any and everyone into any given corner, no exceptions, confidence lets you know that even if you feel like your going to fast for a corner, pin it, you'll muscle it into the line.

ZACKLY

confidence lets me hit a jump at the proper speed and float down the downramp instead of flatlanding every other jump and getting armpump in 5 minutes

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
ellandoh said:
ZACKLY

confidence lets me hit a jump at the proper speed and float down the downramp instead of flatlanding every other jump and getting armpump in 5 minutes

Conditioning as well, confidence in your conditioning that you can attack the course and not get tired,like you said. If you're properly conditioned, and have confidence you start to see the track as a BMX track, you can throw the bike where you want, you start to see different lines and different possibilities on the track that your competition won't see.

Feb 20, 2004
The thing I have learned in racing only a few HS's is learn how to use ruts to your advantage in corners. It makes it much easier to Rail the corners. Also I can feel my self being much faster just because I know what im going into and how I can handle myself during the race. This basically means confidence. Also I have been told there is a huge difference from my first race to my last one in how I attack the course.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Alright, yo asked for it.

PK's big riding secrets revealed.

Enjoy yourself! Have fun. meet people. Don't take it so damned seriously that you forget why you started riding in the first place.

Here endeth the lesson.

Top Bottom