High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
TheJMan said:
so how do you wheelie on a clutch?....just pull it in and let it rev then let it go?
That's the easiest way to get the front tire in the air, but it is also the hardest to control. You have too many different things happening too fast to control them well.

It's much more controllable to use the power of the engine (and you arms) to get the front up and then keep it up.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
I have no clue on how to do a wheelie. Can we start from scratch here. I usually try doing them in first gear...I ride in first then let off the gas then hit it hard, sometimes I get it up alittle, sometimes alot but cant keep it going. Most of the time my rear wheel spins too much and doesnt grab if you know what I mean. I would love to do what you guys are doing and your posts/replys are a huge help.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Doing the same thing you are doing in 2nd gear would be more controllable. Your 97 CR has enough power to do that even in 3rd, but 2nd is easier and won't hurt you as much when/if you do loop it out.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
Thanks High Lord, figured I was on the right track. Yeah sometimes my 97 CR scares me in the dunes and when I hit that powerband the front wheel comes up automatically even in 5th. I just never really practiced wheelies before. I will work on them tomorrow when I go riding.

Thanks again

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
For now, don't worry about the "balance" wheelies, where you get the wheel up fairly high and have to control it with the throttle and rear brake, instead work on "power" wheelies where you get it up a foot or so and keep it there as you accelerate through the gear(s). Power wheelies are the ones that have real purpose when riding and you can work up to the showing-off kind by raising the front a little higher as you become more comfortable.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
as your riding along, find a little bump and pull the front wheel in the air by using the power of the engine. try sliding your ass to the back of the seat and "jerk" the bars with your arms and give it throttle at the same time.

Milhaus

Jan 26, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
That's the easiest way to get the front tire in the air, but it is also the hardest to control. You have too many different things happening too fast to control them well.

It's much more controllable to use the power of the engine (and you arms) to get the front up and then keep it up.

Yup, tried a clutch wheelie on the grass on the weekend in 2nd gear on the CR250. It went slightly sideways, the rear end broke loose and I fell on my ass in front of my fiance and future father in law :( ..resulting in a busted almost new clutch lever and some nasty gouges in the in-laws lawn.
Barely even sore from it though, I think it looked a lot worse than it was. :fft:

Skytied

Jun 29, 2005
Do you think my SUZUKI DR100 can do a good wheelie? I can bring the front wheel up about 2 feet from a stand still and just popping the clutch.

Jizzel

Jul 5, 2005
It is definately a practise thing. I can go for miles. Been at it for a couple of months, still learning though. What I found to be most helpful was up shifting. The more relaxed the engine the further you will go. Also height is very important gotta find you bikes balance point. I find the higher, the further.

Skytied

Jun 29, 2005
Skytied

Last night I fell off my bike while attempting a wheelie. I have been practising wheelies for only a few days now and I can get the front end up quite high by getting some RPMs and popping the clutch.

How many times have you guys had your bike on it's side before you could ride a wheelie for "miles" ?

kimoajaj

Sep 7, 2004
Really informative post this, let`s keep it going.
I just got a 2001 KX250 and it feels much more wheelie friendly then my 1993 KX 125.
I`ve seen alot of guys pop wheelies in 1nst gear, sitting down and going real slow controlling the wheelie with the rear brake.

I`been wanting do to this for a long time, and I now want to try.
I`m wondering wether I should clutch when I hit the rear brake to stop it from going over?. Like, does it matter?.

Should I sit and move my ass back on the seat, then ride in first and just hit the throttle so the front end comes up, and then hit the brake when it gets to high?.

I guess the "learning to wheelie process" only can be learned by doing it the hardway.. ?. I`ve flipped the moped several times, but it doesn`t feel as "dramatic" as with the dirtbike.

:)

marc125cc

Oct 5, 2005
i have a 90 cc ... (i just downgraded to it cuz it feels like i got more control ... i call it my ghettomobile)... Anyway wat i do on my friends 2 stroke 125cc is i go about 5 mph over a bump and throttle the bike ... i do it standing up and hanging my butt over the back end .... it takes practice but thats the easiest way i found out how to wheelie ..... ( i can now go like 40 - 50 feet and i been practicing for about a week or so) good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom