wher can I ride in California high desert without a sticker?

Joined
May 22, 2007
Messages
14
Likes
0
#1
I live near L.A. and my bike is not stickered. where can I ride without registration or sticker? I prefer desert riding, no tracks please. :whoa:
 

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Joined
May 3, 2000
Messages
5,349
Likes
3
#2
Except for private property, you are supposed to have a valid registration. For older bikes like your '96 RM250 and some post '02 bikes, you get a green sticker. Most post '02 bikes such as your RM85 have red stickers and are restricted from many areas in summer, supposedly due to air quality reasons.

If you are from out of state and your bike is registered in another state, there are provisions for you to ride.

Attached is the Red Sticker schedule.

Most of the places shown on the schedule either have rangers or entry gates that are staffed. If you come across a ranger, they will check for a current registration on any bike they see.

So you either pay to ride on private property, or you pay for your registration.
 

Attachments

Joined
May 22, 2007
Messages
14
Likes
0
#3
I dont have sticker or registration, I think there are some places like Apple and Lucerne Valleys. who knows what?
 
Joined
May 27, 2003
Messages
95
Likes
0
#4
96RM250 said:
I dont have sticker or registration, I think there are some places like Apple and Lucerne Valleys. who knows what?
You cant ride anywhere in California without valid registration except on private property. Technically you even need a transportation sticker to transport the bike.
 

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
Joined
Mar 8, 2000
Messages
1,993
Likes
4
#5
96RM250 said:
I think there are some places like Apple and Lucerne Valleys.
Both of those are BLM land.... Registration required.

Write yourself a bill of sale, go to DMV, & register your bike.
 
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
25
Likes
0
#6
if you are in l.a. you are only about 1.5 hours from where i live,mojave. just get on the 5 north until you hit the 14 north.. you will go past santa clarita then palmdale then lancaster... then rosamond..and finally mojave...from rosamond on you will find 100's of miles of good riding...but the closer you get to jawbone the better the riding and bigger the hills...if interested we can set up a ride weekend and i will show you all the best riding areas...bi-monthly our motorcycle shop puts on a tehachipi to vegas ride...all money goes to cancer organizations..gorman is real good riding too....they never care about green stickers out this way...gl have fun..
 
Joined
May 22, 2007
Messages
14
Likes
0
#7
mojave ron said:
if you are in l.a. you are only about 1.5 hours from where i live,mojave. just get on the 5 north until you hit the 14 north.. you will go past santa clarita then palmdale then lancaster... then rosamond..and finally mojave...from rosamond on you will find 100's of miles of good riding...but the closer you get to jawbone the better the riding and bigger the hills...if interested we can set up a ride weekend and i will show you all the best riding areas...bi-monthly our motorcycle shop puts on a tehachipi to vegas ride...all money goes to cancer organizations..gorman is real good riding too....they never care about green stickers out this way...gl have fun..
AHHH! someone understands my problem! Thanks for the advise, I'll let you know when I can get away and ride. Thanks again for the advise! :)
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2000
Messages
6,959
Likes
42
#8
XR250rdr said:
You cant ride anywhere in California without valid registration except on private property. Technically you even need a transportation sticker to transport the bike.
This is correct. You are taking a big chance by not having your bike registered. If you transport your bike without registration you better have it inside a trailer or a van. If it is exposed to the outside world, such as in the back of a pick up truck, you are fair game to be stopped by the CHP and have the numbers run. If it is stolen, you will lose it.

Just do whatever you have to and get it registered or find another bike. IMO, it's not worth having a bike that you can't take anywhere and have to worry about getting busted.
 

ktmboy

Subscriber
Joined
Apr 1, 2001
Messages
2,474
Likes
0
#9
You're only talking about $20.00 every other year, so if you can't afford that then you can't afford to ride. Take FJs advice and write yourself a bill of sale or have your local DMV run the serial #s on the bike and do a title search so they can issue you a pink slip and register it! (You'll have to take the bike in so they can do this.) Tell them the bike was a basket case that you payed $50.00 for and that is what they will tax you on. Good luck! And if you decide to ride on public lands without registration, good luck!
 
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
31
Likes
0
#10
You can ride out here in California City. 100s of miles of trails and you can ride without worrying about a sticker. it is just past Mojave. Everywhere out here has good riding the only time you may get checked or a sticker is on big weekends like the 4th of July and even then it is doubtful. Just go to mapquest it is only about an hour and a half from LA.
 
Joined
Jun 19, 2007
Messages
14
Likes
0
#11
mojave ron said:
if you are in l.a. you are only about 1.5 hours from where i live,mojave. just get on the 5 north until you hit the 14 north.. you will go past santa clarita then palmdale then lancaster... then rosamond..and finally mojave...from rosamond on you will find 100's of miles of good riding...but the closer you get to jawbone the better the riding and bigger the hills...if interested we can set up a ride weekend and i will show you all the best riding areas...bi-monthly our motorcycle shop puts on a tehachipi to vegas ride...all money goes to cancer organizations..gorman is real good riding too....they never care about green stickers out this way...gl have fun..
coal cracker said:
You can ride out here in California City. 100s of miles of trails and you can ride without worrying about a sticker. it is just past Mojave. Everywhere out here has good riding the only time you may get checked or a sticker is on big weekends like the 4th of July and even then it is doubtful. Just go to mapquest it is only about an hour and a half from LA.
Boy... I bet these will turn out to be famous last words. Law enforcement personnel never read the Internet, right? But so nice of you to issue them an invite.