my03gt

Oct 22, 2006
Well guys i just ordered a brand new cylinder for my yz 125 and im curious to know whether i should or shouldnt hone the new cylinder. If i should, where can i buy a hone and what size would i need?

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
It should all ready be pre-hone.
Don't ever use any of thoses adjust spring tension 2 or 3 stone and Flexhones on 2-stroke cylinder.
The rigth way is with a Rod Reconditioning Equipment any local Auto Machine Shop should have one.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
SHSPVR said:
Don't ever use any of thoses adjust spring tension 2 or 3 stone and Flexhones on 2-stroke cylinder.
The rigth way is with a Rod Reconditioning Equipment any local Auto Machine Shop should have one.

Please explain.

my03gt

Oct 22, 2006
SHSPVR said:

Even though the cylinder will be brand new from yamaha?

my03gt

Oct 22, 2006
Also does anyone know that diameter of the 125? YZ 125 that is. i need to go buy the right hone for the NEW cylinder.

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
i use the flat stone honer and it works great, it came with cool bore and nikasil stones for honing both types of cylinders, i have no problem with them. i dont see why using it is bad.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Dang bifocals, I thought it said "Where to buy a "home?"

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Yes my03gt it should all ready be done for stock bore.

Solid State thoses adjust spring tension 2 or 3 stone and Flex hones which all so know as Ball hones being used on 2-stroke cylinder are very well know for get catch up in open port and breaking up doing damage to the cylinder and walls unlike Rod Reconditioning or Line Bore Equipment which have long well support stone hones for precision round line boring be side the adjust spring loaded paddle hones which keep your cylinder straight and ture round.
If you look right here you see what a paddle hones look like.
http://www.atvconnection.com/Departments/ATV_Tech/Cylinder-Boring.cfm

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

SHSPVR.

Not everyone has a shop that uses Sunnen type equipment in their area. And the long, Apex type hones are very expensive for the average guy that only rebuilds his bike a couple times a year. The Apex type hone can also catch at the bottom of a two stroke cylinder.

The flex or ball type hones work very well and are reasonably inexpensive. If you use the correct size they will not damage the ports. In fact they smooth and round the sharp edges of the ports making it less likely to snag a ring.

You can order one at www.mcmaster-carr.com

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
true
a hone job every topend from the shops expencive - but the line hone is great no snags
aball - is like??65.00 i think
flex ?? 25-30
flex work in more stuff because there adjustable--- not a certain %smaller

hey ole 89r--- ever had any probs with your kickstarter on the 350r---- the decompression lever???

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
jason33 said:
true
a hone job every topend from the shops expencive - but the line hone is great no snags
aball - is like??65.00 i think
flex ?? 25-30
flex work in more stuff because there adjustable--- not a certain %smaller

hey ole 89r--- ever had any probs with your kickstarter on the 350r---- the decompression lever???

:coocoo: Hey jason. Try writing this stuff in the English language. You will get a much better response to your posts.

No, never had any problems with the kickstart/ decompression lever on the 350.

Top Bottom