coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
CRF450X, 450XCG, or 525XCG

I am moving from NM to cali in the midlle of the mojave. When I get there I want to trade in the CRF250X for a big bore and get involved in some desert races. My 250X rides like a dream but just doesn't have the balls I want for the dez. I like to do a lot of play riding out in the sand (hitting jumps etc.) so I don't want a tank that can't catch any air. I am torn between the crf450X and the KTM 450 and 525 XCG's. I like the way the Hondas ride but I heard the KTMs are easier to work on and maintain (ie. no valve shims, easier to access carb). Some of my stats:

Aggressive rider 5'10" 170lbs
Plan to ride- desert, dunes, and jumps
Plan on racing desert races
Mechanically inclined and will be doing my own bike work

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Last edited:

coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
I agree with you and thought about the new KLX450, but I would have to wait a few years till they work the kinks out of it. If I wasn't moving to CA I would get a brand new YZ250 but the whole green sticker thing has narrowed my choices down to the KTM 450XCG, 525XCG, or the CRF450X. I'm just not sure I am leaning toward the KTM 450XCG. I don't want to buy a 2002 or older 2-stoke either. I can't wait to get there and ride but the laws are killing me already. I need to hit the loterry and I wouldn't have theese dillemas.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
coal cracker said:
I agree with you and thought about the new KLX450, but I would have to wait a few years till they work the kinks out of it. If I wasn't moving to CA I would get a brand new YZ250 but the whole green sticker thing has narrowed my choices down to the KTM 450XCG, 525XCG, or the CRF450X. I'm just not sure I am leaning toward the KTM 450XCG. I don't want to buy a 2002 or older 2-stoke either. I can't wait to get there and ride but the laws are killing me already. I need to hit the loterry and I wouldn't have theese dillemas.

actually, i didnt read all of your post, i thought you wanted a 450 MX bike, i was talking about the KX450F :nod: . the WR450F is also an option, but KTM's do make great enduro bikes :nod: , but theyre the most $$$. any of those bikes you listed, including the WR, would suit you. get out there and ride :ride: .

mystrdylan

Jun 29, 2006
Crf 450 X

I'm very happy with my CRF450X so far, but I've only had it one month (so I can't say much about maintainence).

My only concern was the parts availability for KTMs. There's PLENTY out there made for the CRF. Also, they're less $ than the KTM. Depends how important street legal is for you.

Finally, when you get your bike: Find Randsburg! :)

Dylan
Los Angeles

coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
I think I'm gonna trade the 250X for the 450X. I should be able to find randsburg pretty easily since I will be working out at Edwards AFB. I've been riding red for 10 years no need to change now.

Top Bottom