kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
my yz450f tries to launch me off after I land a jump, I'm looking to change the rebound but on the shock is the clicker for this located at the bottom of the shock or at the top on the resevoir?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Never had a YZ450f, but on all my bikes the rebound is the one at the bottom, whihc would be near your linkage. The compression damping adjusment is the one near the reservoir.

Richard S.

Aug 21, 2009
Kennedy, most likely your problem is being caused by a lack of compression - not rebound.

Here's what's happening: Your compression is (possibly) turned out too far, which allows the suspension to stroke through too fast and bottom. Now we have to think "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". In our scenario, this means that if you bottom too fast, you're going to rebound too fast. Now, some might say, "right - that's why I want to increse my rebound damping". Wrong way about it, I'm afraid. What we want to do is keep the fork from bottoming in the first place - or at least slow it down on the way to bottom. You do that by increasing the compression damping. Slow down the compression stroke and the rebound stroke won't be so violent.

Having said that, the low speed compression (and rebound) adjusters that we have cannot eliminate a bottoming problem. The speed that the suspension can achieve (shaft speed) often goes well beyond the range that the adjusters can handle. What I'm getting at is this: If you find that you're nearly maxed out on compression damping and you still have a bottoming issue (violent bottoming - not just every-now-and-then bottoming), then it's time to have a competent technician go into your forks and adjust the shim stacks and related items so you can have a controlled, safe handling suspension package.

Make sense?

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
yeah makes sense, let me run something else by you; last weekend I rode my kdx 200 since I was just playing around on the farm and dirt roads. It seems to corner with a much more secure feeling than the yzf. I wonder if the softer suspension is the reason? The yzf seems skittish and ready to either wash out the front or spin out the rear without much warning. How would you adjust for that feeling? This weekend I'll go to a track and do some experimenting.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Perhaps the rebound damping is too hard, and the fully compressed suspension is bouncing on impact (tire losing contact with the ground while the suspension is still compressed). I have seen this on my son's bike using slow motion video.
Kennedy, if is is at all possible, have a friend video tape your landings (and the rest of your ride) with something better that a cell phone, and watch the recording frame by frame to see what your suspension is actually doing, this is the best way to decide what needs to be done. Also, keep your adjustment balanced, if you change the rear, you will probably need to tweak the front.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Richard; I didn't realize you had an account here, nice to have someone who works on suspension for a living hanging around since it's near impossible to catch up with Jer online.

I'm the guy that came out to Grindingstone in January when you Jer and his Bro were riding to shoot some photo's.

Doug

Top Bottom