WILLETTS

Jul 28, 2002
I have a 98 220, Rev pipe, air cleaner mod, tuned carb, runs great. What I need help with is the sprockets, I am currently running stock. I think it's 13-47. I want a little more hit on the bottom end, should Ichange the front to a 12 and leave the back or change the back to a 50 and leave the front ? I don't race mx but like to ride the track.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I believe dropping 1 tooth in the front equals 3 in the back.

By taking a tooth off in the front (a smaller sprocket) you will have more tourque/power, but less speed. and visa versa

Just the opposite with the back... Add to make more power/tourque, but minus speed. and take away teeth to add top speed, but lose power.

If you go I believe above a 48 tooth sprocket, you need a new chain guard and block, because the sprocket will hit it.

good luck

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by KDXFreestyle

If you go I believe above a 48 tooth sprocket, you need a new chain guard and block, because the sprocket will hit it.

good luck [/B]

I run the 13/50 combination and like it alot. I also run the Fredette chain guard and have no problems with it and the clearance between the sprocket and guard.

This combo runs very good for me. In the woods I can run 2nd and 3rd all day and it is a very easy ride with little shifting. On the MX track, however, is the trade off. with this combo you are shifting all the time and if I rode MX more I would go back to stock.

Last edited:

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by KDXFreestyle
thats cause the frp guard is made for yoursetup, i was talking about stock.

If you go to the Kawasaki parts site it says that a 43T - 51T rear sprockets are options for a stock KDX. I would think you could run any of these sprockets with the stock guard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom