geeshawner

Sep 30, 2002
I am looking to get a new dirt bike to more suit me for riding in the woods. I am 6'3'', 170 pounds and 15 years old. Right now I have a basically stock 98 KDX. It is a really nice bike although I have a few gripes and would like to have a four stroke. The bike is a little too short for me and isn't nearly as comfy as my dad's DRZ400 (which is too heavy). Also the stock suspension isn't the greatest. I know I could do mods to make it better fit me (fork springs, tall seat foam, high bends) and eventually make it faster, but I don't think that any mods would reflect in the resale value and with the new four strokes so cheap why not buy one?
So far I have found the yz250f and the wr250f to best suit me. I like the trail readiness of the wr but moreso I like the light weight and no need to uncork the yz. They are both leaps and bounds ahead of the KDX suspension-wise and the seat is much higher. I am not too worried about electric start or lights. Any reccomendations on which of these two, or other bikes would be appreciated. Also, about how much power and torque do they have compared to the KDX?

Shawn

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
if you compare a 250f to a stock kdx, then the 250f will have more hp but less torque. If you hopped up the kdx, youll have about the same hp, but have about 6 or 7 ft/lbs more torque. Suspension is light years ahead of the kdx

geeshawner

Sep 30, 2002
I am also considering a 98 or 99 yz400f. They are probably not too heavy as I can handle my dad's 277lb DRZ but they are almost 40lbs lighter. Does anyone know how this bike does on the trails? I heard they can overheat but I would hardly ever be in 1st anyway.

Top Bottom