INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
This isn’t about the Plymouth or Barred either, for the poultry aficionados. It is more like the White Rock Enduro held in the White Rock Wildlife Management Area in NW Arkansas, and which I took a shot at as a participant Sunday. I was scheduled to ride on the same row with Rick Owens, president of the sponsoring Razorback Riders, and his son Jonathan. Since it was raining Saturday night, Rick put us on row #1 to avoid rutted trails. He is an A Senior rider, the club grounds are behind his house and the area is his ‘back yard’. Jonathan would be on an YZ 125 and is no slow poke for a 14 year old. As for me, I would just do my best as usual and take things as they came.
At the start I waited for two kicks on the Yamaha next to me. It didn’t fire up, so I left around the corner and up the hill. By that time Rick was out of sight and I didn’t see him again until he got back to the house for a little hot tub time. Jonathan had stopped for some reason and was ready to go again, so I kept up my momentum and passed him. It didn’t take long and my place was 4th along the trail. About two miles out was the last I saw of Jonathan until he was back playing a video game.
The first loop is what the women and youth classes run, so it isn’t bad at all. Although we are on an 18 MPH schedule, I’m still late at the first check and get into a little ‘trouble’ before finishing the loop. About 12 miles out a left turn going up rocks around a tree puts me down on the low side. Still being ‘fresh’ for the day, it’s not a big deal or time loss, just another mistake. On the gas pipeline ridge, the fast guys miss the turns into the woods and get a little lost. There are Woodsy types in Arkansas too. My next encounter is a low arching branch as I come up the bank from one of the many stream crossings. It catches me in the face and I know blood has been drawn. Such are the trials and tribulations of enduro riding. I finish the loop OK and start out on the second one across the road and up the hill, five minutes down even after the reset.
It isn’t long before we’re in some tougher riding. The many puddles or water spots are OK as the bottoms are rock and the good guys just take them on the back wheel – another Woodsy style. I did see one rider ahead of me go down in one though. As I come up on two riders waiting at the bottom of a steep hill where another one is having a problem trying to get up, this doesn’t look good. Looking closer I see arrows to a bypass through the woods that may be longer but nowhere as steep. No idea why those riders were just sitting there. The next rider I see taking a break is part way up a hill below a downed tree across the trail. He tells me his legs are too short to try that. I do but don’t get the back wheel over, back down enough to go right through the woods and around. One more obstacle behind and the next one is a steep downhill where several people are there to caution you. This one I manage to conquer without incident. The luck of the Irish doesn’t hold though. I go by another rider taking a break, see two choices ahead, clip a tree on the left, go down on the right side and INCA is crosswise to the trail with the front wheel headed downhill. I drag him back on the trail and start walking him up from the right, uphill side. Next thing I know I’m down with my right leg against a rock and INCA on top of me. The other rider comes up and helps, for I was well pinned. By now my main interest was in getting to the next check but I still managed to go down in a minor way once more.
At 49.2 miles I pulled in at check #7 with 4 minutes from houring out. The reception was akin to a ticker tape parade. There were offers of food, some 100 proof or other drinks, had the blood washed from my face, told to rest a minute, the trail was probably the shortest way back after consulting the route sheet, (picture #1), and to play it smart so I can come back again. The reset gives me almost 17 minutes and I head for the next check in section after experiencing something you can’t buy.
The trail is now wide, as I poke along looking for the next turn into the woods. I’m like the song - Taking It Easy. The reason for the skimpy route sheet is that at every mile there is a marker with the time on it. When I get to the mile 60.4 reset I find out why there was no check. We are now back to the end of the first loop for the last 7 miles. Having been through once before should be no big deal the second time. How wrong I was. On the same rock turn I went down again, a little worse this time. With help from another rider we got INCA back on the trail to take a better way around the turn. Shortly after this episode I was houred out and decided I might as well stop and take some pictures of the trail to give an idea of what it’s like at the White Rock Enduro. Pictures 2 and 3. To be continued.

Young Ted

Attachments

• WR #6.jpg
    WR #6.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 196
  • WR #1.jpg
    WR #1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 186
  • WR #2.jpg
    WR #2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 190

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
At one point there was an opening through the trees to the left and I was able to look down in the valley and see the vehicles in the campground. There was still four miles of trail to get there though. That is how much winding and zig zagging it takes to get down from the high ridges. I managed two more trail pictures, #4 & #5, a stream crossing and a mild rocky uphill. About a mile from the end after going up a stream bank, I feel my face being ‘ripped’ off again. Sometimes I just don’t learn or remember. It was the same branch as the first time. More blood and scratches – picture #6.
Finally made it to the last check and was told a fire rescue team guy had been there to see if I had come through yet. It seems I was being kept track of to make sure I wasn’t in trouble of some kind. When I turned my card in, I was congratulated for making it through as many had quit or returned with damaged equipment or bodies. Bloody scratches don’t count.
It was a tough ride and the arms and legs know it. Trail riding in the dirt and snow simply doesn’t use the same muscles as are used in the rocks. This is simply my opinion from what I have experienced. There are however no complaints on my part for I have also experienced something in life that is good for the soul and will always be with me.

Young Ted

Attachments

• WR #3.jpg
    WR #3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 186
  • WR #4.jpg
    WR #4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 191
  • WR #5.jpg
    WR #5.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 186

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Ted
You are the man we all aspire to be some day. Good for you that looks like a good place to ride. :cool:

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Did you run into any of the Heartland Spodes? Haven't heard their ride reports yet. Good read and it sounds like you had a reasonably good time.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Ted you are the MAN. great ride report sounds like fun.
Don

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
BSWIFT - All I ran into was rocks and trees. I have no idea who many of the people were. Although I try to be quiet and reserved, it doesn't work and many know me that I don't. Any riding is a good time, reasonable or not.

Young Ted

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
INCA said:
Finally made it to the last check and was told a fire rescue team guy had been there to see if I had come through yet. It seems I was being kept track of to make sure I wasn’t in trouble of some kind.

You ..... Ted ...... trouble ....Nahhh say it aint so :nener:

As usual you inspire us all. Congrats on another great weekend at the races :cool:

Attachments

• WR #5.jpg
    WR #5.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Great write up - sounds like a fun ride! though the bloody face could be done without.

You - in trouble? NOpe - trouble makers only make trouble for others - not themselves!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
A short addition. The rider that helped me the second time was last years Black Jack Enduro Circuit C-200 class winner - Rebbeca Fox.

The trails pictured here are the easiest parts. Other rocky up or down hills are all rocks, no dirt at all. There are no places as tight as the Horseshoe Lake southwest loop or the east side of Holton.

Mr. Fatherandson - The Byron enduro weekend has not been settled yet. When it is, I'll let you and Fred know.

Trouble Maker

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Ted you are the man! I would had liked to followed you on that adventure even if I had'nt finshed!

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Great write up Ted! :cool: I will have to try riding down there sometime.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
As usual, another great story Ted... What's important is that you rode it, and came back to ride it again. The trail and the adventure look pretty enticing, but that'd be a long road trip from White Lake, MI.... well, about the same as the Sandlapper. :think:

I've noticed that Fast Freddy Hoess has taken on your style of open-faced helmets. It is to better enjoy the tasty aroma of the forest trail, or so that check workers don't miss your big grin? :cool:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Thank you Bill. My reason for going to that enduro is secondary. Primarily it is to refresh with the Razorback Riders club members after the Reunion Ride in 2000. And first of these is the Owens family, Rick, JoAnn and Jonathon. It is good for the soul.
The reason for the open face helmet is that I'm a late bloomer and it takes time to 'get with it'. Look how long it took to take up with INCA. At the Black Jack Enduro Circuit awards banquet Saturday night I was asked if I was going to ride the Penton. Connie thinks I should get a new helmet now but I'm holding back and have not considered going to a full face. I enjoy my freedom, branches be damned.

Young Ted Healing Up Fine

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Ted - setting aside concern for injury, somehow i just cant seem to picture you in a full face helmet. When I think of Ted on a bike - the picture always has the open face helmet, and that big grin! Just a few minutes ago, a few shots of exactly that scrolled by on my computer's screen saver - your smilin mug out riding!

f&s - a rain date for an enduro? Wassup with that? do those guys down there melt when the get wet or what?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yo' - Trouble Maker - looks like you ran into a south paw with a dandy left hook!! Mannnnnnn, I dont know how he (or she) managed to get inside on ya - I have tried a gazillion times and always end up on the recieving end... Must be that I aint south paw....
Seriously Brother - VERY well done on the TRAIL TALE!! Excellent job - you had me double - even tripple reading that one!!! Hey,, did I notice a "poc" mark on the tree behind the water crossing - tree on the right hand side of the trail??? It sure does look like something that one of our Chaos riders would do...Lets see,,,,, check my notes,,,, yea,, just what I thought,,,, It wasnt that group,, it was one of our local guys,, YZMAN, were you down there taking bark samples?? Thats where I have seen that mark before - Don likes to leave those as a territorial marker :laugh:
ANyway Ted, GREAT JOB the write up AND the pics! Sorry to hear about the OUCH and hope it is all healing good!! Man that looks painful - especially for someone who likes to smile!
Woodsy :ride:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
KTM Mike said:
f&s - a rain date for an enduro? Wassup with that? do those guys down there melt when the get wet or what?

The land owners don't want a lot of damage so if it's too wet they don't ride to preserve the land use each year. It's a small price to pay for the opportunity to have land available every year. Last year they had to go to the rain date, I'm hoping that they don't get much rain next week so we can go.

Mike, I and the LMC have to get started on the Spring Pine Cone the weekend that is the rain date so we can ride the April 23 Roselog Enduro.

The season is fast approaching!!! :ride:

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Mike if you had ridden Roselawn #2 last year you might appreciate the rain date. It was raining and we had to ride in a 6 inch deep rut for miles and miles. It was not very fun and really tore up the trail.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Woodsy - That 'poc' mark is a trail arrow. It is understandable that you don't know what trail arrows look like, much less what they are for. The one in picture #2 shows up better.

Mike - The difference is the clay soil. A wet rut will dry that way and stay for ---?. Fred nailed it right on.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
OK - the rain date makes sense. Soil type would be a factor. We dont have much clay around here! This was the first time I had heard of a rain date for an enduro so was puzzled.

Top Bottom