motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
So yeah, basically its got all the symptoms of head gasket gone. I keep boiling over, even when the water isn't hot yet. So all I'm asking is, is there any other way coolant can get into the engine? Base gasket? Water pump? Anything common?!

Thanks! :nod:

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Is there much of a history of cylinders cracking on these bikes or are you just throwing that suggestion in for the sake of it?

Any recommendations on better ways to get the head to seal?

EYY

May 22, 2010
The head gasket sounds like the problem. The only thing you can really do is take it apart and find out. At the most you may need to machine the head to make it flat again, but only if it had warped when being overheated.

EYY

May 22, 2010
You could try replacing the head gasket at first, but if it does it again i'd be looking at re surfacing it. It only takes 20 minutes to remove the whole top end, so it shouldnt be too much of a hassle. Plus, gaskets are relatively cheap :) Did you take much metal off when you machined it?

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Enough to ensure a completely flat surface. I've bought some VHT Copper gasket goo, so I will try a thin layer of that with the head gasket 1st, unless when I measure it I find it to be warped.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
motopsycho87 said:
Is there much of a history of cylinders cracking on these bikes or are you just throwing that suggestion in for the sake of it?

Any recommendations on better ways to get the head to seal?

just throwing it out ther you know.....

there are two areas that need to be purged when filling the kdx up with coolant one is on the top of the cylinder and the other is on top of the left radiator

if you are blowing coolant out before it is warmed up I would take the cylinder off as well and give it a good looking over

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
motopsycho87 said:
Enough to ensure a completely flat surface. I've bought some VHT Copper gasket goo, so I will try a thin layer of that with the head gasket 1st, unless when I measure it I find it to be warped.

I reused my head gasket and spray it with the permetex copper spray- a -gasket stuff. I have only seen the bike boil one time while riding slowly through the PA black quicksand muck and it had no ill effects on the head

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
the coolant does not go beyond the cylinder so it is either the head gasket or the cylinder has a crack
Actually, the water pump is located on the crankcase, and is driven by the crankshaft. It's possible that coolant could be leaking into the crankcase, but if this were to happen, there would have to be bad CS seals as well as a bad WP seal.
Probably the head gasket, since these bikes don't seem to have a proclivity to crack cylinders.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mudpack said:
Actually, the water pump is located on the crankcase, and is driven by the crankshaft. It's possible that coolant could be leaking into the crankcase, but if this were to happen, there would have to be bad CS seals as well as a bad WP seal.
Probably the head gasket, since these bikes don't seem to have a proclivity to crack cylinders.

too fancy of wording my head hurts :cool:

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Head gasket had gone :) got the copper gasket goo and cleaned up and annealed an old gasket I had laying around at work in one of the 1300'C ovens (at 850'C). Head and barrel have less than 0.01mm deformation so all is good :).

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
I had a good hunt round the net, it is a copper based gasketing compound, basically the same as the spray stuff everyone uses but rated at a higher temperature, I don't have the information on it with me atm.

Anyway, it looked to me as though the old gaskets jointing compound (the black stuff) was no good as most of it flaked off, hence cleaning, annealing and then getting some other stuff on it.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I dont think new ones come with "black stuff".. I have been through alot of 2 stroke motors in the past couple years and got new gaskets for most except the kdx and none had anything but pure copper. but come to think of it every other 2 stroke was air cooled so I am probably wrong.....

Now the warrior and the xt 350 I remember had the graphite or whatever it was

Top Bottom