How many times have YOU replaced your top end?

• To Many to count...

Votes: 123 22.7%
  • 5 - 10 Times

Votes: 69 12.7%
  • Less than 5

Votes: 98 18.0%
  • Once

Votes: 86 15.8%
  • Never

Votes: 102 18.8%
  • I have but I recommend letting the shop do it

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I have and I don't think it's too dificult for the do it yourselfer.

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
I have heard that there are different size pistons for some bikes, I.E. an "A" piston might be 5/1000 smaller than a "B" piston for the same bike. If I remember correctly it had to do with the origional cylinder machined size. Can someone explain this to me? Thx.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
GhostRider32 said:
No one can explain this??? In a round about way, my question is how do you know if you need an "A" "B" or "C" piston size?

this thread is a poll , an old one at that, most knowledgable types have probably already been in here.
with that i'll say you should probably start a new thread or start using search function.

i can tell you this though, on my cr250 there is a letter A stamped on the left front corner of the jug

kartstar

May 24, 2006
I think the "A" "B" "C" pistons were in Hondas for a very limited year range, but seeing as most of the time you're not even offered the option when ordering, I wouldn't sweat it.

I have to replace the top end in my racing kart (CR125) after every race weekend - and as has been said, piston skirt pieces in your bottom end (and pipe and muffler) es no bueno!!

I recently bought a '96 CR250, test rode it, brought it home, and pulled the jug off to put new rings in. Half of its intake-side skirt was missing, and had been for awhile. There were pieces wedged in the oil slots of the con rod big end, but no other sign of shrapnel having gone thru - I can only imagine that (luckily for me) the skirt exploded and shot out the exhaust and the guy didn't even notice. I replaced piston, rings, small-end bearing and wrist pin, put it back together, now waiting for bottom end to go south or the end of the riding season (whichever comes first)! :coocoo:

I'm not sure I'd recommend this approach for less stupid folk...

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I've only replaced the top end on my own stuff a few times, but I've probably done 100+ overall while working as a mechanic on sleds and quads (and tractors and cars and the boss's boat and whatever else).

railer

Nov 4, 2005
I got my 98 RM125 in Nov05 (so, about 7 mos. ago), and haven't done a top-end in it yet. I ride at the track on the weekends, and during the week, I'll maybe go out for an hour or two and ride in my backyard.

The guy I bought it from said it just had a rebuild, and he must've been right, becuase it has run great ever since I got it. starts on the first kick still. Can't complain. I'm worried about my topend a little after reading this thread though, but I'm about to deploy and don't have time or money to do it right now. So the bike's gotta sit a year before I can even touch it. Hope it runs good this wed. (goin out to practice on the track), and I'll have to do a rebuild when I get back to the states.

Brian.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
rockers109 said:
Yes, hone the cylinder with a ball hone. 240 grit aluminum oxide ball hone that's about 10% smaller than the cylinder. That's what Eric recommends, that's what I use. If you don't the rings don't seal well and you'll be doing another top end very soon. That's the mistake most make. Can't just slap the piston in and go. Buy one of Eric's books it has great info. Hey Bike_Rider250 the wear limit is .004 time to replace it. That's the maximum wear. But I'd replace it.

I have a couple of questions here:

1. Kawasaki states that my 2001 KX250 has a cylinder that cannot be honed or bored....comments?

2. You state that the ball hone must be 10% smaller? than the bore....should that not be larger?

3. my compression [cold] is 175 psi, the bike starts first kick, and runs excellent. I have put perhaps 10 hours on it since I bought it [15 max], but I have no idea when the last top-end was done. Should I do it to be safe, or wait for the compression to drop a little?

Thanks

Ken

shepherdblake

Aug 5, 2005
kshackleton said:
I have a couple of questions here:

1. Kawasaki states that my 2001 KX250 has a cylinder that cannot be honed or bored....comments?

2. You state that the ball hone must be 10% smaller? than the bore....should that not be larger?

3. my compression [cold] is 175 psi, the bike starts first kick, and runs excellent. I have put perhaps 10 hours on it since I bought it [15 max], but I have no idea when the last top-end was done. Should I do it to be safe, or wait for the compression to drop a little?

Thanks

Ken

I think that if you have 175psi, then you are in great shape. Just keep an eye on it....

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
I replaced my first top end a short while back on my 99 CR125. I have about 5 hours riding time on it since and it is running great!

2 stroke king

Oct 9, 2006
im getting ready to replace my top end and one thing that told me my top end was messed up was my friend brought over a compression test and it only reach about 60 PSI and it should deffinitly be over 100, more like around 130.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Well, you have to make sure that the engine is warmed up, and that you hold the throttle open, if not, you'll get a false low reading.

Top Bottom