Why is my bike so hard to get into neutral?

Warning: Possibly ridiculous advice to follow. But, I was given this advice by a mechanic & racer & it fit my situation- so for what it is worth- here's the full extent of my knowledge.

On my Suzuki... to find neutral (from 1st at least).... I can only grip my clutch lever 1/2-3/4 in.
Anything more than that and it will refuse to go to neutral. Period.

Maybe it's all in my head, but all of my Yamaha's have been hard to get into neutral. Both my '95 RM250 and '03 CRF450 were easier to find neutral. Even my Warrior quad can be a PITA to get into neutral. I think it just the nature of the beast :ride:

Yz250JdT250 said:
What?? Clutches are never designed to drag. That puts a lot of extra stress on the transmission for no reason.

--so does that mean that feathering the clutch puts extra stress as well?
No, completely different. When feathering the clutch the transmission is already in gear and under load.

When shifting from neutral to 1st, the output half of the transmission is stopped, the input shaft is spinning with the engine. Normally, when you pull in the clutch, the input shaft speed drops down fairly low, but doesn't entirely stop due to the hydrodynamic forces that GMC points out. Under these conditions, when you shift into first, the dogs in the trans engage pretty softly. On the other hand, when the clutch is dragging, the input shaft speed doesn't drop nearly as much. This causes the dogs to hit a lot harder when it's shifted into 1st and the extra stress I was referring to.

sixds said:
the clutch has the right amount of play. i dont know what to do now.
As I said previously, if your adjustment is correct and the cable is moving freely, you'll have to pull the clutch to find out what the problem is. It's not very difficult, but if you don't have the tools or ability, you'll have to take it somewhere. I sympathize with your situation. I too was once young and broke, and so was my bike. On the bright side, it's where I started to learn to fix all things mechanical.

Bent6 said:
Maybe it's all in my head, but all of my Yamaha's have been hard to get into neutral. Both my '95 RM250 and '03 CRF450 were easier to find neutral. Even my Warrior quad can be a PITA to get into neutral. I think it just the nature of the beast :ride:
I have a hard time on my Yamaha too, and it is only 3 weeks old.

heres a noob question (i think) sometimes i find it hard to shift into second but sometimes i dont, so, does rpm have anything to do with the easiness of shifting? If the clutch is in shouldn't it not matter?

I'm doing a complete engine rebuild to my 98 yz125. All of the transmission gears have noticable wear on em, but that didnt surprise me at all since i thrash the gears. I'm going to replace everything but the gears and shafts, put a new crank in, wiseco basket, vertex piston, probably reworked cylinder by Eric Gorr, and v-force 3 reeds. I cant wait, its gonna be tight.

My bike was easy to get into neutral, but then sometimes it was a little hard to find. Some days on the track i would hit neutral by accident a lot though :bang: .

LBRaptor said:
heres a noob question (i think) sometimes i find it hard to shift into second but sometimes i dont, so, does rpm have anything to do with the easiness of shifting? If the clutch is in shouldn't it not matter?
ya when you shift the lower the rpm's are the easier it will be, the clutch doesnt instantly stop the engines rpm it needs like 1 second to slow down enough for the gears to mesh easy.

I find that on my RT180 I tend to knock it INTO neutral on accident sometimes, especially on really slow take offs.

I asked a friend who has a YZ125 and his has the same Neutral-miss problem. He told me that he just taps the lever, and doesn't try and feather it into "N" just gives it a light, swift tap up or down.

Apparently this helps a LOT.

Last edited:
Warning: Possibly ridiculous advice to follow. But, I was given this advice by a mechanic & racer & it fit my situation- so for what it is worth- here's the full extent of my knowledge.

On my Suzuki... to find neutral (from 1st at least).... I can only grip my clutch lever 1/2-3/4 in.
Anything more than that and it will refuse to go to neutral. Period.
Tried this and it works! Chinese Apollo RXF 200. Thx