Will tires from a 125 work as ice tires for a 250?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I got a set of used tires off my crf250 that I was saving for using as ice tires. I have since sold my crf and bought a yz250. I was wondering if I could stud them and use them ice tires on my 250? I was thinking how snow and ice tires for cars are usually narrower then regular tires so that you cut through the snow instead of floating on top of it.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I think you'd want the smaller tires considering that you'll be "enlarging" their overall size with the studs.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
It depends on what kind of riding you are going to do. Most studded tires are 110 even for 125cc bikes. Studs dont really enlarge the size in matter of travel per lap.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Pyro, your the man i wanted to talk to about this since I saw your video. I went out and bough a box of 2 inch wood screws. I'm going to do what you did and drill them in and cut the head off with a dremel tool. I have a question though, did you cut the tops off at a 90 degree angle or did you cut it off at an angle to give it a kinda of spike? How much of the screw should I leave exposed? I was figureing about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch. I'm going to use them at first for just riding around here when there is snow on the ground but I'm thinking about giving ice racing a shot, does that change how I should stud the tire?

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000

I just cut it right off, the edge doesnt have much effect on the performance, its the big weight for a small surface that push in into the ice, it will round off quite fast but you wont feel any difference. I left about 10mm sticking out. Its quite a big difference between trails and ice racing. For trails i found it to work verry well with 3.5mm thick screws, two or three in each lug. If you are going to ride on lakes you want as thin screws as possible, i used 2.5mm thick and it had very good traction on hard ice but i broke a few screws after each ride. Its a bit tricky to get it working good on hard ice. I would recomment using 2.5 thick screws and sticking out 6mm. Start with two in each lug and if you feel the traction isnt as good as you want or you break screws faster than you can stand, add more screws. If you find you are loosing traction the more screws you add try using a bit thicker screws and not as many. Its a fine ballance. Too many or too thick screws will make too little weight on each screw to penetrate the ice deep enought. Too thin or too few screws will put too much force on each screw, breaking them or provide too little traction.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…