bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
What do you ride on (trails, ice, both)?
What are you using (Trelleborgs,KoldKutters,etc.)?
If you stud your own then on what tire?

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Trails
Trelles this year; been using Kold Kutters on whatever tire was already on the bike.

Admittedly more time on the sled than bike when it's snow time, but not enough of either in any case.

ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
I use Trelleborgs for Michigan trail riding, (not on ice)

It is amazing to me how well they work and that I haven't lost a single stud yet. I bought them used and am going into my third season. Once I almost "sawed" a 6" diameter log in two with the rear tire!

Riding in snow is a hoot! Worst part is starting my 450, as the electric starter rarely has the oomph...

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
KTM is studded up with the trelleborgs - 11th winter season for the rear and 13th season for the front - they are incredible tires - getting a bit more difficult to change every year however as that rubber gets harder and harder but they still work and still look decent even.

The YZ will have screws front and a Michelin rear (pre-molded studs just like the factory Trelleborgs). I like the traction of the pre-studded Michelin better than the Trellies but I doubt that the tire will last anywhere near as many seasons since it appears to be a softer rubber compound (although it still looks excellent after 2 seasons).

based on my experience with studded tires, it makes the cost per year on par or better than screws now doesn't it? keep in mind that trelleborg quit making tires and Barum(I believe) bought the rights and is now making the new Trelleborgs so who knows if they are using the same rubber compounds etc, and whether or not the new tires will last as well as mine have.

Screws perform better on solid ice (lake surfaces) but the trellies (and michelin) work just fine in the woods - where I primarily ride.

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
Riding trails as long as the snow isn't a foot deep. I have the Michelin snowtires. I have had them for four years. I have not lost a stud, and wear and tear is minimal. They defnitely have been worth the extra money on the initial purchase, especially since riding season has been extended to year around riding.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I have the same ones as Ward. 4 years old and still as good as new.

Why brett, you taking your skirt off and riding this winter so you are in shape for the B class this year. :p

Mar 21, 2005
Trelleborgs in single track as long as snow conditions allow, then legal snowmobile trails. My Trelleborgs are old, with chewed up knobs, but I think there's only one stud missing. The old ones sure are tuff, can't speak for the new ones personally, but have heard they aren't as good.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Fred T said:
I have the same ones as Ward. 4 years old and still as good as new.

Why brett, you taking your skirt off and riding this winter so you are in shape for the B class this year. :p
Yeah maybe depends how bored I get. I'm giving up hockey after my latest incident so I gotta find something to do in the winter. I'm not supposed to do too much for another couple of months anyhow.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
I just bought a set of pre studded winter tires. Still in the garage so no ride report. Last year I put about 800 sheet metal screws in a set of partially worn knobbies. Threw a fiew screws each ride but was surprised how well they worked. If you want to give winter riding a try without spending alot, give this a shot. You can allways upgrade.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
A few years ago I put 1" conveyor belt bolts in my tires. They worked awesome in the deep stuff, but if you don't run a liner they will pop your tubes.

Last edited:

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
I just started studding up a tire by myself last night. Am I doing it right?

nail.jpg

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Tommy's metal shop project...

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 259
  • FrontRear.jpg
    FrontRear.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 315

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Those are some old pics!!

crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
Kold Kutters On Dunlop 756's. Works Great, Or On 773's. Soft Terrain Tires That Dig Deep And Not Alot Of Studs To Bite

Top Bottom