insutama

Aug 25, 2007
Hey im still new to biking and i picked my yz 125 this summer and now winter is coming quick so im just wondering if there is any tips on how i should store my bike in the winter ? i was just gonna drain the gas in the tank then put it in the shed till next spring anyone do anything differantly ?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Drain the gas from the tank, but also drain from the carb. Pull the plug at the bottom. Maybe, drain the coolant from the bottom of the water pump and from the cylinder if the bike has a drain plug there.

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
Why put it away for the winter? Stud up some tires with Kold Kutters and ride it on the ice. I ride as much in the winter as the summer ,also one thing if you do ride in the winter re-jet to richen it up

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
insutama said:
okay thanks. instead of draining from carb could i just run bike till it cuts out ?

you could but when your running on fumes the engine is not getting any oil

there is a bolt to unscrew on the bottom of the bowl to drain the carb

as long as your antifreez is the correct ratio nothing should freeze

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
First run till warm.

Drain the tank and carb as stated.

Change the transmission oil.

Don't store without coolant. Don't store with water. Store with 50/50 distilled water/glycol mix for anti-freeze and corrosion protection.

Remove spark plug and pour a tablespoon of oil in the hole. Kick over slowly a few times. Replace spark plug.

Plug the exhaust and cover the airbox if there's any chance rodents might try to make a home.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
since were on the winter riding. besides changing the jetting is there anything you should do to ride a bike in the winter. btw mine is a 2 stroke

maddogYZ

Aug 24, 2007
I dump some fuel stabilizer in the tank and then run the bike a little bit to suck it through. If the gas is over 6 weeks old by the next time I ride it i'll drain the gas and put new in. There's ocassional warm enough weekends to ride (45 degrees) so I don't prep the bike for a long haul hybernation. Depends on where you live. I'm seriously considering studding my tires this season and selling the snowmobile because we never get enough snow to ride and unless you haul north to Erie or New York.

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
my storage plan for the winter is as follows

Strip bike back to bare frame
Sand and repaint frame
Check all bearings, bushings, seals , reeds, carb, etc
New piston, chain & sprockets
New brake pads if needed
Fit new throttle and clutch cables, throttle tube, skid plate and handguards
repack exhaust
re assemble completely
fit new plastics & graphics

stare longingly at it until its time to ride again........... ;)

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
I know what you mean maddogyz. I live in southern Michigan and I used to snowmobile but then the snow disappeared but we still get the cold temps.I ride at an old gravel pit that is flooded. one thing I have noticed thru the years it is not HP that wins but the tires

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom