Wisconsin (or just Midwest) Riders!

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
Just curious, what kinds of tracks & trails are there in this state or geography? I'm considering saving for a KTM MXC 300 since it would match light-MX work and be a good trails bike, but what kind of riding is there to be found throughout WI, or the neighboring states (e.g. IL, MN, etc.)? I live in Oshkosh (Fox Valley area) and wasn't sure 1) what the majority of places to ride around here consisted of or 2) if there was a type of bike that would be better for the available terrain than what I was/am considering (e.g. more MX or more trails, a wider-gearing ratio, etc.).

-Cheers

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Most of the trail riding that I know of is in the north and they are considered ATV as WI does not license motorcycle for off road. The exception that I know is Jackson County (Black River Falls) they have a nice ATV type trail system but require a license. The rest of the state you can ride on ATV trails for the most part. But be careful as the local authorities sometimes get judicious and will fine unlicensed bikes, even though it is not possible to license them(Personal experience in Danbury, WI) ! I registered mine in Vermont and it passed the test. There are quite a few MX tracks within an hour or two of you. As for the bike a KTM MCX would be fine, though if you mostly ride trails the first gear may be a little tall in tight spots, but it will be better on a MX track then the EXC. My personal choice would be the EXC, because I mostly ride trails and the MX tracks I do ride are natural terrain with a few jumps.

MN’s DNR registers bike and you can ride on most of the trails, again most are in the north

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
go to wisconsin dnr web site.there you will find motorcycle legal trails to ride on.do not i repeat do not ride on atv trails that are not designated for m/c use.the fines are substantial.the up of michigan has very rider friendly regulations.most counties have opened up the road system to bikes allowing travel between trails and what not providing you are properly stickered.each county has their ownpolicies on useage check with the appropriate authorities for the ones that interest you.that said the ottawa national forest has some great trails,logging roads etc.ti covers nearly 1 million acres most of which is open for riding.you will find a lot of trails that are not on maps the best way is to go explore.

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
KDX633, what kind of bikes do well in those trails? Are the U.P. Michigan and the Ottawa National Forest area wide open, or narrow & twisty?

Thanks for the info thus far.

Cheers,
David.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
halowords sorry I can not help with trail riding since we just MX. There is (or was) a trail club on the south edge of FonDuLac on the west side of Hwy41. It is in the low area just south of the industrial park.
Also please do not keep posting a rehash of the same post your other 2 asking the same info are closed now

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
oldguy said:
Also please do not keep posting a rehash of the same post your other 2 asking the same info are closed now

Sorry, that wasn't my intention as I was trying to keep the topics of the threads separate. If it's a problem, just delete them and I'll just peruse.

-Cheers

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
halo
i mostly ride my kdx on trails,sometimes i ride my kx but i dont have it set-up for trail riding.my son rides a kx 85 no problem.moto bkes do well for most part.the trails themselves some are just wide enough to fit an atv through 48 inches maybe? some are fire roads 8 feet wide or so.and everything in between.the ares we ride in up are mainly west end.some are dnr trails and mapped others are old log roads on public property that allow motorized access.most of which are not mapped you can call the county you are interested in and find out where these areas are at.as i stated earlier most counties in the up allow m/c travel on many if not all county roads unplated.pretty cool hope this helps.almost forgot michigan dnr website also lists several up trails

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
kdx633 said:
go to wisconsin dnr web site.there you will find motorcycle legal trails to ride on.do not i repeat do not ride on atv trails that are not designated for m/c use.the fines are substantial.

:nener: Get the plate

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Go to the Vermont DMV sight and fill out an app send it in and get a VT plate. I wouldn't use it to go to work but it seems to work for trail police types. I think there is a 300cc upper limit.

Top Bottom