wondering what bike i should get new to bikes in general

Feb 13, 2006
hi ive rode my buddies older honda xr250 and a xr400r. Im 6'2 265. Im not looking for anything crazy fast or brand new. I just want something i can have fun with on the weekends. Everyone's told me to buy a 4 stroke. What all is the difference between 2 and 4 stroke bikes. What cc do you guys recommend? Ive ridden a couple trails, still a very new rider though. I want to start out on dirt bikes before i decide to buy a nice street bike. Any help would be great on this thank guys,
kevin. :aj:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
First, a disclaimer. All numbers in this post are intended to be approximates to give the reader an IDEA of the relative qualities of the various bikes . . . ;)

4 stroke trail bikes like an XR250 or 400 (also Yamaha TTR, Suzuki DR, etc . . .) are not highly tuned. An XR250 might make (total guess) 20 HP or in that range, but have relatively more torque than a 250 2stroke - especially in the low and mid range of the power spread. These require a minimum amount of maintenance. Change the oil regularly, adjust the chain and ride it. You will rarely have to do a top end (piston and ring) rebuild and probably never blow the motor. These are tuned about like a regular car you drive every day.

2 strokes are usually highly tuned race bikes - whether for motocross or enduros, etc. . . A new 250cc 2 stroke (CR, RM, KX, YZ) will make close to 45 HP stock and requires a considerable amount of maintenance and upkeep. You may have to do a top end rebuild 1-4 times a year depending on how often you ride and how hard. If you don't change the top end soon enough, you can break a piston or other nasty things - this can cost $200-750 to fix depending on how bad it is.

4 stroke race bikes (CR250F and 450F, KXF, RMZ, YZF) are highly tuned race bikes which make lots of power. However, per cc they make nowhere near the power of a 2 stroke (but do apparently make less emissions) and thus the AMA has allowed a double displacement advantage to those 4 stroke race bikes. A 250 4 stroke race bike will make approx. 31-33 HP stock. A 125 2 stroke race bike will make about the same HP. You will have to check and adjust the valves regularly, change the oil every couple rides, I'm not sure about rebuild frequency, but its not as often as a 2 stroke. However, if you don't rebuild it soon enough, you may blow the motor and that could cost $1000-3000 depending on how bad it is. Imagine a Formula 1 race engine and you get the idea.

However, because of the 4 stroke design and the extra displacement in the motor, the 4 stroke 250cc race bike will make lots more torque in the low and mid range of the power spread than the 2 stroke 125cc.

At your size, weight and experience, I'd recommend one of the 4 stroke trail bikes - just as your friends already have. I doubt you'd be satisfied in the long run with the XR250 as far as power. I'd look for something in the 400 range . . . Brand doesn't really matter, but the XR's tend to be the most bulletproof from what I understand (and from my experience as a kid).

Hope that helps . . .

Jul 25, 2005
for your size i would say something like a xr400 or similar, it will pull you around much easier than a xr 250, you wont have to rebuild them, the closest thing in 2 strokes to a xr400 is a kawasaki kdx 220, a low end mellow 2 stroke, which actually has really good power. a change of gearing on the 400 and you would have a really good bike.

Top Bottom