WR/YZ Lowering: Methods and Results

TobyS

May 1, 2000
I've seen a lot of posts about lowering. I plan to lower a WR or YZ to accomodate my 30" inseam (I'm 5'6").Please let me know things you have done, and how much it lowered the bike. My target is 3" lower.
I'll shave the seat. How much can I get without "bottoming out"? How much worse is the WR seat/tank vs. YZ?
I'll probably have the suspension modified, but I want to give up as little travel as possible. Let me know suspension guys, and results.
I may cut the subframe. Are there any hokey aspects to this, i.e. air box or seat mismatch?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Toby

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Modifying the suspension is the best way to do it without compromising the ergonomics of the bike. There is so much sag built into modern SX inspired suspension that it's easy for a good suspension guy to lowered the bike and still retain it's basic qualities though spring rates and valving. 3 of my last 4 bikes have been lowered and I wouldn't ride them any other way having spent last season on a full sized bike. It's money well spent and easily reversible when you sell it.

Here's a couple of links with additional info :

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=5236&referrerid=16241

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=5283&referrerid=16241

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
So does Jeremy every lengthen suspension? I know about adding a thicker seat and taller bars, but would more suspension travel for the long legged of us be an advantage? Or would we just end up rocking around on overstretched boingers?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by OldassKDX
So does Jeremy every lengthen suspension ?

I've never seen it done, but that doesn't mean it can't. I would imagine that raising the bike's CG and lengthening the wheelbase with longer suspension would make for some interesting dynamics problems to solve.

Maybe start a new post in Jer's forum to ask him, and see what he says.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
just got my bike back from jeremy last weekend,had it lowerd, sa-weet. i love it. he does great work. now i can actually kick start it on the trail. you tall guys don't know what it's like with stumps.

Top Bottom