Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
Hi all; I would like to get some real world info on this bike from you all, I trail ride and want to compete, :D hows the power compared to the big four? handling, after market stuff, fit and finish, any info at all good or bad would be great thanks Keith.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I keep waiting for someone to reply to this, as I am interested also. As far as fit and finish goes, Huskies are very good. My 125 seems about the same for power on top compared to the Jap 125s and seems to have more low end. It handles with a little of that Euro feel everyone talks about. It likes sweepers better than hair pins. It handles jumps better than I do, but then I figure any MX bike would.
I am dying to try, and maybe own a WR250 or 360. Or maybe a new TE450.
I need a bigger bike, I need a bigger bike, I need a bigger bike, I need to pay bills first, D#@M!

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
I have owned both a 1999 Husky WR250 and 2000 Husky WR360.

Both were very nice bikes, and I would have a tough time deciding which was better. As an open bike rider, I thought the 250 was underpowered, but I would say the same thing about a 1999 KX 250 I rode last summer.

My biggest gripe with the 360 is that it lacks top end power. From idle through mid range it rips; but that is all it does. The 250 had a longer powerband and was much easier to start.

Both bikes handled really well but the suspension might have needed a revalve to be perfect. I weigh probably 180 with gear and the forks were too stiff for me. Note that I ride really tight trails in Western Washington so your mileage may vary.

I am in the market for either a new TE450 or Husaberg FX470. I won't know which way I go until I get close to buying. That will be sometime in January.

I have a hard time recommending a 360 for anyone but an open bike rider. It is not the amount of power it makes, but where it makes it. Also the hard-to-start syndromes is a function of a kick start lever that is the same size as the 250's and that one isn't much bigger than a 125's is. It makes getting a good kick in really tough. The bike is not hard to start, but rather it is hard to kick.

HTH.

Greg Matty

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Agree about the 360. I have a 2000 wr250 and ride single track mostly. I find I am quickest when I stay a gear high and chug it barely above idle. It has enough torque that very little clutch is needed to ride that way. Given I ride that way, I had thought the 360 would be good for me, but I had a lot of trouble getting used to the one I rode. The bottom end power is exceptional, but somewhat unforgiving, and it felt heavy - my 250 felt like a 125 after the 360. The 360 also revved out at what would be about 2/3 throttle on a 250. It obviously requires a different riding style. Some of the local guys are planning to switch from 250s to 360s this year for some reason. They are all faster than me now but I'll be interested to see how quickly they adapt to the new bikes...I know they won't be happy if I start passing them :confused:.

I'm planning to get a husky 4 stroke when they come out, but with my experience with the 360, I have no idea whether I'll be better off on a TE450 or TE250 - I think I want a 350 :).

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
Bud,

Glad to see we agree on the 360. We could probably put Dirt Rider and Dirt Bike out of business with our honest comments. I especially like your remark about having 2/3 the rev factor of a 250.

I would be careful in going to a 250 four stroke. I liken them more to a 125 two stroke than a 250. Husky's TE 450 will probably be much easier to ride than the 360. A long smooth powerband sound ideal to me. I can't wait until we get a rider report.

Greg M

Kintan

Nov 30, 1999
Hi Bud I would like to know why you say the 360 feels heavy.Is it actualy heavier I thought it was in the same frame as the 250,the husky website says they are about the same wieght.Is the bike physically larger or is the engine the source of the heavy feeling.As far as the top end power wouldn't a pipe and silencer help.Im very interested in the 360 ,does it feel as heavy as a yz 426?
thanks Dave

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Greg, I expect you are right about the TE250 but I don't think I'll write anything off until I ride it... and I do like 125s :).

Kintan, it felt heavier and vibrated a bit more. Compared to a wr426, I think the 360 felt a bit more manuverable and had a bit more power all the way up to the point where it revs out. I didn't spend enough time on each bike to really compare them to each other, only enough to know they weren't going to be my next ride :). Something else I remember now is the 360 felt relatively tame, but the front came up very quickly, which was a deterrent to trying to push it hard. And trying to get the front wheel up eg, over puddles at very low revs often ended with me nearly flipping it. The guy who owns it has had quite a few attempted wheelie flips himself. Just regular open class 2 stroke stuff I guess :D. I have heard that the 360 will be significantly updated for 02, unlike the other husky 2 strokes.

Last edited:

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
I am not really qualified to comment on the newer Huskies - am still riding my 98'WR250. I've been waiting patiently for Husqvarna's new four stroke line. Besides, I haven't yet come across a bike that'll give O'le girl a bad time.

But, I can say that one can't go wrong with a Husky. The 250s are a whole lot of fun, without the quirks of the 360. As it is, I'm the only one who can start my 250! They are made very well, and will out-last many other comparably priced steeds. Anyway - good luck!

Aloooha!:)
TrailTramp
98'87'74'Husky

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
I too am anxiously awaiting the 250 4 stroke. It will be interesting to compare it to the Yamathumper.

I have very good experience with Husky, I've owned two, and KTM's and Gas Gas too. Not to mention some Japanese steeds. Of all of them, I believe the Husky is the toughest built. My brother-in-law is riding my old '96 Husky 125 WXE, I raced it for a year, then sold it to him. It has had a top and bottom end, one time!, and the clutch has never been replaced, he is a good rider, and rides frequently, so it's not a gravel pit bike. The bikes are amazing.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Roost -
Just curious - you feel that Husqvarna is better built than GasGas and KTM? Really? So much is said on the "quality" of GasGas and KTM. That encourages me to stick with Husky.

Alooooooha!:)
TrailTramp
98'87'73' and possibly 02'

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I can say that the majority of ktm riders I see are slower than me, and the majority of Husky riders are faster than me. I know that's not the bike's fault. Ktm obviously makes decent bikes but they are not superior as some ktm riders would have us believe :D.

On another note, I think Husky have won more major races in europe this year than ktm. In my local series this year Husky riders came 1-2 overall. It may only be a matter of time till it happens in the US, if it hasn't already.

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Is the WR360 known to be a spark plug fowler? My buddy has one that seems to be jetted cleanly, but fowls plugs in woods riding conditions.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I think Huskies are built tough as nails. Better than my last KTM, but the KTM seemed a little better than the Jap bikes. Still they are all close and I wouldn't have a problem with any of the major brands. Not sure about the Gas Gas or VOR bikes, but they are just too expensive for someone that isn't a serious racer.

Over the years, since the 70s, the two top overall bikes for enduro championships are KTM and Husqvarna.

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
freydog,

I have owned two 360's and neither fouled plugs. Make sure your friend is running the 6AEJ164 needle jet. This is absolutely crucial. Some bikes like the clip in the second position from the top, mine liked it in the middle.

It is only available through Husky dealers so he can't just buy it at a Yamaha shop. If he doesn't have one, have him call Halls Husqvarna and ask for Jay. I don't have their number off hand, but they place an ad in the back of every Cyclenews. He will also want to run a 430 main jet and a 35 pilot. A 4.5 throttle slide is also good but the 4.0, standard on 96 and newer bikes, will work fine.

Greg M

Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
Greg; can you dig up some phone numbers for husky dealers in washington for me I'm looking for a bike, I found one in salem it s a cr250 for 3600.00 I think its a 00 or 01? still want a WR. Thanks Keith

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
Keith,

My local dealer is at 360-422-7727. That is the shop number and you may get a machine saying, "please leave message." Mike handles the phone calls and is very helpful. Leave your name and number and what you are after and he will give you a call back.

Greg M

Top Bottom