Wrecking Crew Dust Fest. (newbie ride report)

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Well here, I was inviting myself to a ride in Corona with Ol89er when the thought crossed my mind. How can there possibly be any good riding in Corona of all places. Never the less I was antsy to ride and riding alone isn’t the best of ideas besides it’s kind of like kissing your sister in the fun department. :eek: So not wanting to be left out of the ride, I arrive at Ol89ers pad to see him cruising on his shinny red quad. After a brief sight seeing tour (by the way nice pad their Ol89er) we head out to the staging area where RMJeff and Thumbs are busy unloading their bikes.

Eventually, we head out toward the hills with Ol89er leading the way on his WR. This is the first time I’ve ever seen 89er ride anything other than the XRValdese. I’m thinking 89ers going to need some blocks on the bottom of his riding boots to be able to balance that tall blue beast. Meanwhile, Thumbs is on his Honda screamer and RMJeff his blue thumper. We head off to the hillside were I decide to be the unlucky one to suck up all the dust from these three. 89er wasn’t in the least exaggerating when he said it was going to be dusty. After a short mile or so, I started to feel like a 2-pack a day smoker. Its at this point I figure I have two choices. Either, follow on the tail of RMJeffs thumper, which by the way spits out crater type rocks at your helmet, or lay back a bit in order to see the trail. Not wanting to get lost, I decide on the follow the leader routine. Of course, this has its major drawbacks too. If the leader goes off a cliff your soon to follow. :eek: Eventually, RMJeff stalls the thumper after missing a corner in all the haze. Jeff not wanting to miss all the fun plumes of dust decides to ride in the back for a while.

The trail winds its way under the freeway where the fun riding really begins. The earlier silt trails turn to hard pack with hills and rocks. What a welcomed relief. The slight breeze keeps the dust to a minimum as we follow 89er through the treeless hillsides. I must admit, after following Thumbs red screamer for a while I hadn’t a clue where we were let alone where we were going. The riding from this point varied from open dirt roads to sand washes and rocky descents and hill climbs. You couldn’t ask for a better variation of terrain. This is definitely 4-smoker territory. Thumbs and my 2-smokers weren’t far behind unless we got lost. Which at one point all three of us were left to ponder :think: where 89er went? RMJeff being the Indian guide and navigator he is tracked down the blue beast of 89er.

Of course, no ride is complete without some sort of crashing highlights. Yours truly ended up spilling it on a rocky hill climb but fortunately; I managed to recover without so much as a camera to record the event. :thumb: 89er knows how to hide it better than the rest of us. Thumbs and I show up to find RMJeff sitting on a hill while 89ers riding off in the sunset. What we didn’t get to see is the power slide to home plate by 89er. :whiner: I guess leading way out in front has its advantages huh 89er? Following Thumbs screamer through the sand washes was fun to watch too as he managed to make his own trails from time to time. And of course who could forget the ice skating trick from the lookout hill as my bike decided she was mad at me and was determined to head down the hill with me hanging on the back. Just picture a rider hanging onto the back seat of his bike as its dragging him down the a hillside by his feet and you will have the picture. See, I told you guys I went to the Michelle Kwan school of riding.

Anyways, we eventually headed back to 89ers pad where we all shot the breeze, loaded up and headed out. Need less to say that was some good riding although next time a little rain before the ride needs to be on order. I’m thinking that area would be a blast in the mud.

Special thanks to 89er for the invite and making me feel at home and to RMJeff and Thumbs for having to look at my lime green monster as we rode.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Very nice report :thumb: I wish I could write half as well as you..

I had a great time and cant wait for the next one.

Terry-Thanks for having me out.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Excellent report Rich. :thumb:

Glad you guys had fun. Oh yeah, did I mention that it was going to be dusty? :scream:

Til next time.

Ol'89r

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Sounds like another great Corona ride. I still haven't ridden in the desert after a hard rain. Gotta try that sometime (if we ever get enough rain)....

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
I'm not worried about rain at the moment. I'm confident it will come now that I've built my patio cover but haven't completely waterproofed it yet.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Rain would sure make the Elsinore GP intresting! KTMboy missed having you join us for the ride last weekend. Was about to send a search party out to see if your still alive.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom