dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Guys, I sold the Husky and I have narrowed my replacement choice to a KTM. I was riding KTM's in the past and I'm going back. My problem is which size now. I was on a 360 and then a 300, but I wasn't racing at the time. I'm 4-stroke class now and that has to change for 05, so do I go open or 250. For those who have seen or know me, I'm big 250lbs and 6'1" or so. The 300 has better grunt, but from time to time it felt big in the tight stuff too. Plus the 300 will be small for the open class. the 250 from what I've read is light quick (nice) and still has grunt. But will it have enough for my size. I found a deal on a 2000 250EXC where I live. It's out of Michigan, but the owner lives here now. The bike has a bunch of Enduro Engineering stuff on it and the motor work was done by Lafferty's mechanic. Top-end and such. I guess the owner didn't do those things him self. Anyway the price is right and the bike is close. I also am talking with a 2000 300EXC owner up in the SanFran area and his price is right, plus he had extras on the bike too. 18mm clamps, pipe, EE stuff and a WER. It's a two day trip and 100.00 plus in gas.

What to do. I like the idea of the 250, they are quicker and less bulk than the 300, but with my overall size that may not be a benefit. Bottom line, I wonder if the 250 will pull me enough. I've ridden my sons Planto race CR125 and it's fun to ride for a little while, but I couldn't race (or enduro for fun) such a thing.

Guys if you got any input, please pass it on. I'm printing out a dmv bill of sale form and I'm hoping to look at the 250 Friday. Thinking I could get it for 2500 or so.

Thanks

ed

fish525

Jun 6, 2004
as for me go big I to am 6'1" and 225 lb and I whent from the 250 two smoke to a for stroke 525 and will never go back now but thats my 2$ you just need to ride whats the most comfortable for you

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The 250 is a nice bike and very nimble however I wonder if just a little more poke from the 300 might not make it a little easier at the end of the ride. I'm 6'3" 240lb so I like bigger bikes and find my 300 hauls me around just fine most everywhere except really big hills and I have options for them.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
KiwiBird, Hill power could be a problem, but I didn't even go for the sand hill at Phelin that day I road with you all. Big hills stump me anyway. Now the hills in the races, that's another story. I just don't have time to think about them so over and up I go. Just wonder if the 250 will pull and keep on pulling. I know a lot of guys rave about the bike, bit it is a snappier bike than the 300. So like you said it's more clutch work and short shifting. I'm not finding much right now, so I figure I'd check out the 250 fro size. I know on my last KTM I swapped to the tall set due to my knees. Now that I trashed the ligaments that last ride I was on, I'll need the tall set on any bike I go to. It's getting harder to sit and stand all day. Man getting old and fat is a real you know what.

Anywho, most likely will not have a replacement bike by the next club enduro but I hope to be back soon.

Thanks for the input you all.

Ed

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
fish525, I know what your saying about the 4-strokes having the power. But I've sold mine and now I'm going back to the 2, at least for awhile.

Thanks ed

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I would say go for the 300. You'll be doing so much more desert riding than tight trail riding anyway - so the "nimble" factor doesn't seem to add up to much. The weight difference is probably not that much, and the extra torque of the 300 should be nice for those long enduros ... less shifting, and easier hill climbing and sand blasting.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I've ridden both and Bought the 300. I love this bike. I'm 6'3" and 220LB and it pulls me everywhere I want to go. Even up the sand phelan hill with ease ( but my 250f and Thumbs 200 also did that with a little bit of whipping)

I do not regret at all going back to a 2 stroke. They (IMO) are soooo much more fun to ride. The 250 is a good ride also. I know 2 stroke really likes his. It's a bit pipier and snappier, which is fun but can also be more tiring. The 300 motor is so forgiving, for the enduros I ride the 300 is the easiest and most fun bike I've ridden. You give up nothing in power to the larger displacemnet and heavier 4strokes in the open classes

Here a brain twist for you, If you want the 300 motor but want a smaller narrower chassis, check out the gas gas. Eel's bike is and feels a lot smaller and tigher than mine yet still has the 300cc motor. (test riding his bike made me want a 300 in the first place) You can often pick up used ones pretty cheap.

With the 2 bikes you mentioned, you really can't go wrong. Same if you get the Gas Gas. Plus with normal easy mods you can really change the personalitly and power of the bikes to fit your liking. If it were me I'd look for the best deal.

Also if you don't choose now, you can come out to the Nov 14th enduro and test ride them all. Eel(GG300) and 2stroke(250EXC) and I 300(MXC) will all be there.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Thanks for the input guys. I had the 300 for a year or so and it was the best 2-stroke I've had in a long time. The 360mxc was a bit much and the 300mxc was just right. Was fun at the track and out in the desert. Felt a bit big at places like Wildomar and Lake Morena on the tight rock trails they have.
The problem I face now is finding one in the 2000-2002 range that is not so far away. My 300 like all KTM 300's was the same as the 250, but with the larger motor so the bike felt good. I did have to go to the tall seat and taller bars. I haven't seen any GasGas's close buy, except for a 250EC and it was a demo. It looks like it's be run hard too. It's up at a dealer around Torrance. The overall problem with the GasGas will be my size related to the bike. Long rides will be an issue. It was on the 300MXC ktm too, but the tall seat and bars helped. I think I can get this 250 for 2500.00 or so and that's a deal, but like you all said it will be more work in the long run. I'll look at it, but if the guy will not go for my offer, I'll walk. I know I'll find a 300 in time if I just keep looking. I

I'll let you all know what I do.

My buddy keeps his KLX D-Sport at my house so maybe I'll make it out next weekend. He's opposed to me racing the bike, but maybe I can help with checks or so. Plus check out your rides.

If you don't see me I might be on my way up to SanFran to get that 300 after all.

Talk with you all soon.

Ed

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
FYI I bought my 2001 300MXC last OCT. from a guy in Alabama. It was in great condition and shipping was about $200. I got a smokin deal on it. The guy needed to move it for his new bike and kept dropping the price every few days. Yes it was a chance as I couldn't see or ride the bike, but for me it seems to have really worked out. Look around on KTM talk, ****, cycle trader etc. I'm sure you'll find what your looking for in the next few weeks.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I'd go with the 300. My 02 300mxc feels a bit tall for me 5'8" 180lb; but I'll live with that problem just for the fact that the motor is soo smooth. I can lug around all day in a higher gear and be mellow, or I can stay on the pipe and she'll rip. Either way the bike is easy to ride and maintain. I do like Eric's Gas Gas because it feels more stable and low to the ground, but that might be a problem for a taller rider.
I've ridden a 250 (not a KTM though) and the powerband is completely different. Quicker throttle response and a harder pull are about the only words I can use to describe the difference. Weight is not an issue as the 300 is light.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Thanks for the input guys, I'm still looking for a 300. Scar tissue who did you ship the bike, forwardair? I found a nice 2002 300 in the Portland area, It's pricy at 3800.00, but it looks new and has everything I would need, except for springs. I looked into shipping and it was a 14 day timeline and approx 280.00 or so. First company i called it would have been over 600.00. 280.00's not bad if the price were a lower. How did you deal with the money and were you out the money before the bike got to you.
I look at KTMTalk on a daily basis, but to buy that way is not my first choice, you never know what you will really get. I know a Husky owner who bought a bike from a rider on ThumperTalk and the guy must have been using photos of the bike when it was newer. The buyer on this end got screw and had no recourse. It's like this weekend, I went to look at a bike that the owner said was in very good condition and guess what it was a boat anchor. I feel bad to rag on the bike, but it was trashed and need lost of work to bring it back.

I hope to find one closer to home, I did find a MXC up in Davis and a EXc out in Phoenix. Both drives and I'm moving on them yet. Then there was the 2002 (wife owned) 300mxc that look new showroom condition in Orange county. the family was asking 3400.00 and I only had 3000.00 that weekend. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Anyway, I'm still looking and now without a ride.

thanks
ed

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
Hey Ed

I've bought both my last two bikes long distance and they've both been great deals. My 03 450 EXC came from St Louis and my 04 KX 250 came from New Hampshire.

I've used Forward Air both times. They have a MC shipping container that your seller rolls it in, ties in down and closes the doors. They can lock the doors with combination locks and email you the combinations. The crate shows up at LAX in about 5 days from Boston.

I've got home phone numbers and addresses from both the sellers. You can tell alot by just talking to the guys. I've also called the shops that they said the bikes came from and verified what they said.

Both deals have been great and I've paid thousands less than I would have in Calif. Dirtbikers as a breed are usually pretty good people.

BTW I rode a 300 EXC in 99 & 00 and thought it was the ultimate 2 stroke. Tons of low end torque and good hit on top.

Good luck Call me on the 100's race line at 760-568-9819 and leave a message so I can call you back if you want any more info on shipping a bike.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Ed, I bought my 02 300MXC last year from Black's Motorsports in West Virginia. It was brand new for 4150 with shipping. Next time I would use Forward Air, because like PhastPhart said, thier container is much safer on the bike. Blacks shipped my bike in the same container that KTM uses to ship bikes from Austria; however, Black's altered the container somewhat to fit a more assembled bike, and I did have some minor shipping damage.
Try registering on KTMtalk.com and use the purchase bike forum. You could send out a request for a brand new 02 or 03 300 and you'll be surprised at the number of dealers who will reply to you with a quote.
If you're will to spend 3800 then go the extra 600 or so and buy new.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Dingoe,

I owned a 300 back in 97, loved it and I owned a 400sx that is now the prized possion of CAL on the boards.
My advice would be that if you are going with a KTM get the newest one that you can get. The reason that I say this is because every year KTM has made a dramatic improvement in the quality of there suspension components. For instance I rode Kiwi`s 03 and it was much better than my modified 02.

just my 02

bundy

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I do like my 250E, but I havent responded as I am in the lightweight class at 5'9 and 155.

My 98 I know is different than 02+ models when it comes to power delivery. My 98 is very torquey and pulls right from the bottom, that has been enhanced with a Eric Gorr head mod for race gas. Size wise, I dont feel alot of diff getting on the 300 and Scars has more hit in the mid than my 250 has. But I recently put on a Doma pipe which changed things abit making it feel snappier, I havent trail ridden the Doma yet, but Ill find out Sunday. I also jetted a little fatter for the unknown factor on the pipe.

Dont know if that helps any, but I would sugest the 250 easily for somone my size but cant give a comparrison if I was carrying more.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Dingoe,

I shipped bikes and bought both long distance.

In 2002 I bought a WR250F from Canada brand new. and they arranged shipping, it was shipped in the original factory container. the dealer had not assembled it. Total cost $4,500 including shipping.

In 2003 Ibought a 2001 KTM 300 from back east through Yellow Freight. The number to Yellow Freight is 1-800-610-6500. Total cost for the bike and shipping was $2,750. Which is why I took the chance on it. A from talking to the guy he seemed like a pretty good guy, but you could always get scammed. 2nd, I waited until he dropped the price low enough that even if I had to put in several hundred dollars for repairs he didn't disclose, I would still be even with a local bike price. Luckily, that was not the case. IMO I bought it for almost $1K less than anything I could find local, so for that extra savigs, I could have bought all new plastics, re did the top end and fixed fork seals, added a new chain and spockets. etc. if I had to do all that I would have a much better bike than any local bike anyway. Gratefullly, That wasn't the case. And I spent the $1K on some custom suspension :cool:

If your going to do it have them at least send you lots of pictures.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Guys, Thanks to all for the input. I didn't go the shipping or long distance purchase route. I ended up just getting a small/cheaper bike that has close to all I should need. I'll change the hand guards to EE type and the final drive to a 14x50 or 13x49. I need the grunt. I may add a 11 oz flywheel weight, but well see. My wife and I talked about it a lot and just decided to buy something that I could see. I found a 300 up in Davis, but opted to not spend what he was asking and got an old YZ from a HBMC Magnum racer. He is approx my size so it's setup for me as it sits. It's geared to tall, but seems like it will work with just a few changes. We'll see how this one works out and if not I can always dump it for the same or close to it. Plus I can crash this thing and not worry like I would with a nice newer one.

I don't know if I'll make it this weekend. I was thinking I'd make it out, but I like to go through a bike when I get it and make sure everything is set and right for me. I foresee Saturday being a mad dash to get it all done. If I do, maybe I'll get up there late Sat night. I won't have any time keep equipment on it, but riding ribbon is always a blast.

Thanks again to all who helped and if you hear me complain about this bike, you all can say "We Told You So".

thanks again

ed

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Re: 'gearing too tall'. Try it for awhile before you change it. Years ago I bought a KTM 250MX from an Expert class Dez racer that I thought was geared way too tall, but once I got used to it I loved it. The taller gearing forced me to ride the bike the way it was meant to be ridden!

Top Bottom