placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I'm going to put a new set of rings and wrist pin bearing in my bike, but was thinking: heck for another $15 to throw in a wrist pin - seems like cheap insurance.

Is that what you guys do for a re-ring only?

It has not many hours on it (one rear tire.)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Unless your bike has run hot or you can feel slop, I would just keep it in there until the next piston.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Get a new clip FOR SURE. That little item can cause a lot of expensive damage.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Got clips, gaskets, rings, wrist pin bearing, PV cleaner, torque wrench, manual, patience, and time.

Haven't seen a wrist pin via mail order, so I'd have to order it from my dreaded local big-three dealer (now, what kind of bike was that? Oh, I’ve never seen one of them - must have been before my time...) which doesn't bother me, as I'm in no hurry; some things a man has to live with...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
placelast said:
It has not many hours on it (one rear tire.)

John.

I see no problem with reusing the pin if that is all the time it has on it. A wrist pin is not the type of part that will fail due to stress so, if the bearing surfaces are good and there are no indications of wear, I would reuse it. :cool:

Just my $ .02

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i never even take the piston out, just put the new ring and and re-use the gasket. so a putting a new ring on my bike costs $10.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Based on the original question....Would it be a bad idea to replace only the wristpin bearing?

I wonder if it wears in to the pin....

Personally, I detest the top end jobs bad enough I replace everything. I dont mind the top end by itself. I am tired of the shrouds, the radiators, the carb, the headstay, powervalve, and whatever else they can put in the way.. All the stuff you have to deal with before you can even see the top end.

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
Rcannon said:
Based on the original question....Would it be a bad idea to replace only the wristpin bearing?

personally I would not replace just the bearing.
theoretically I would think the pin and bearing would wear together so I would replace them as such.

same as I would not replace a steering bearing without replacing the races

Top Bottom