JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Ok

WIth the recommendation from a few board members I purchased a RK X-Ring chain. I have been fightiing the masterlink for the last hour. The problem is the solid plate that goes on before the clip. I cant get it far enough onto the studs.

How do I get this thing on? I have tried Vise grips, C-clamps, pliers, and 18" adjustable pliers.

Any suggestions or ideas?????????

Thanks
Jeff

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
The chain plate is squeezed on there with some force unlike the bad old days with wimpy chain that would come apart by hand. Down side is it’s a pain to take apart.

When you go to put the new chain on. It’s a real pain in the arse but saves the hassle of the chain falling apart in the middle of no where.

Usually put a small nut over the end & tighten a C clamp as you have been one end, little at a time. If you had a small vice better still, just use 2 nuts over the pins.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I had the same exact damn problem. I like the chain, that master link is a b#$%h! I tried everything. I finally went to the shop and found a o-ring master link that had slightly longer pins and used that. I was still a tight fit, but at least I was able get get the dang thing on and ride! My buddy tried for over an hour to get the one that came w/it to work before he said the heck w/it.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I always take the chain breaker and push the "master-link" pins out a little.
I've been doing it for years. The guy that told me about doing it this way was Randy Hawkins. It has NEVER failed me yet!

D

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I just installed an RK X-ring chain last week. I use a small nut and put it over the pin, then use vice grips to press it on. Be sure to alternate sides frequently so the plate gets pressed on evenly.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by David Trustrum

Usually put a small nut over the end & tighten a C clamp as you have been one end, little at a time. If you had a small vice better still, just use 2 nuts over the pins.

Quick and great responses...

I used 2 c-clamps and 2 nuts to get it together.

Thanks for the quick response.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom