rngrover2

Aug 4, 2001
XR 250,KDX 220r, or TT-R250... I am looking to buy a new bike soon..which of these bikes would be the best for trail and woods riding? Also which one is the faster bike? any thoughts would be appreciated.....

tristan18au

Jun 3, 2001
i would go with the XR it has the bottom end power a bit more over the KDX and also has better brakes and a bit more top end than the TTR>
the faster bike would prob be the KDX but the XR and TTR would out class it in tight trials.
:cool:

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
Ahhhhhhhhhh, no way! The KDX 220 would blow the other 2 out of the water. That Aussie is missing a couple of "shrimp from his barbie." Just kidding. The KDX has good torque in stock form, and the bike is choked from the factory. You can mod the KDX out cheaper than you can the other 2. I faced the XR250/KDX decision when I was buying a bike, and I'm sooo glad I have that 2-stroke snap in my life now. You see people wanting more power from their KDX, but you also see just about EVERYBODY with an XR 250 wanting more power. Look at what it costs them. Talk about 280 kits, cams,expensive exhaust kits, etc. Then you have to beef up the valve train if you want to put in a better cam. With a KDX, you can leave on the stock silencer since it's the quietest, put on an FMF pipe and a RAD valve or Delta Force or V-Force or whatever valve, and have a large gain in power for less than you could for an XR, and the power gain on the XR wouldn't be as great as it would on the KDX. KDX is also cheaper than the other 2. $4249 MSRP vs. $4699 for the other 2. $3999 for the KDX 200. Resale value on the 4-stroke is higher, but if you buy a new bike, why would you be concerned about selling it so soon? Is riding a bike you're not happy with worth knowing that you can get a little more for it a few years later when it comes time to sell? Reliability of the KDX is almost on par with the XR 250, I would wager. Mine has been excellent. Fit and finish, hey, have to give it to the Honda, they make a quality bike that feels tight. You still have to buy bark busters on the XR just like you would on the KDX though. You don't have to do valve adjustments or worry about buying oil filters with a KDX. Mixing gas is no big deal, it adds like a minute to the whole procedure. You get a measuring cup and draw a line on there after you figure out what ratio you want according to the size of your gas can, and then fill it to the line, dump it in the gas can, add gas, and shake it up. Oh, such a pain! :think The people that complain about mixing gas...I wonder how they ever survive when they drop their bike and have to pick it up. Ohhh, my bike fell over, oooh I have to unload it, oooh I have to load it back up...please. :think True, sometimes you are low on pre-mix oil and have to go to the shop which is a pain, but the same scenario occurs when you're low on oil for your 4-stroke, right? You don't want to just dump ANYthing in there to get it back to the right level on the dipstick, right? Or your oil needs changing but you don't have any oil, or the filter for it? The point is that people talk about less maintenance on a 4-stroke and no mixing of gas, well, you still have to grease suspension linkage, lube cables, change tires, change oil, bleed brakes and change pads, clean air filters, wash it, etc, etc. I don't buy into the whole 4-strokes having less maintenance thing because the motor has wrapped around it all the same components that have to be serviced as a 2-stroke.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
You really can't go wrong with any of them. The TT-R's have electric start, but are heavy and expensive. The XR has a smooth, very usable, power delivery, with excellent fuel range, will literally last forever and will almost never break down. The KDX, being a 2-smoke, will be fast and light, with decent bottom end power and reliability.

Look at how you ride, and where you ride, and what you see yourself doing. You really can't go wrong with either the XR or KDX. Most people here will tell you that the KDX will be the best. If you want to look cool in these forums, you better pick a KDX, Yamaha, or KTM. If you want a bullet-proof woods bike get an XR. Thumpers rule! Good luck.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I think another plus to like the XR and TT-R is you can make it into an easy daul sport bike also if you want to later on. Sure you can do it with the kdx but damn that be a pain for various reasons.

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
The only way to know for sure which one you like better is to go to a semi-large popular riding area that is non-motocross and you are almost sure to see either the KDX or the XR, or possibly both, and get to ride them back to back. Ride the KDX that is a '95 or later model, since that's the latest generation. The XR 250 from '96 and up is the latest generation of that bike. I think the XR's turned from white to red in 98 I believe. If the guy doesn't want to let you ride his bike, just offer him a couple of bucks and he will probably change his tune. Everybody needs money to run to McDonald's during an afternoon of riding, or money for a bottle of pre-mix, as the case may be with the KDX. Bribing a guy with a few dollars is a deal considering that you are getting a test-ride and will be able to settle all doubts in your head about how you like the bike. People that ride these 2 bikes just ride to have fun and are friendly and will probably want to recruit you over to their side, so they'll let you ride it for free and then tell you all about their bike and how they like it and answer all your questions. This is not the case with A-hole 250cc motocrossers. I am betting that if you ride the XR first, you will like it, but then if you ride the KDX second, you will like it a lot more. Or if you ride the KDX first, then ride the XR, you will realize the XR is a little sluggish and overweight compared to the KDX. I used to really want an XR, but once you ride a KDX, you won't go back. Like I said, maintenance on the 2 bikes is the same, regardless of the motor, and if mixing gas is a concern to you, then you will never be able to handle maintaining a dirt bike anyway.

tristan18au

Jun 3, 2001
if u were getting a TTR i would not go anything earlier than a 1998 modle and the XR no earlier than a 1996 modle
(mine is a 1998 modle XR with krooze tune suspension , staintune full race exhuast out fit and an over size rotor at the front)
IT HAMMERS!!!:cool:

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Once again, I have to cast a vote towards the KDX220. It's lighter and faster, and has more suspension, it's more bike for you buck. It will smoke a XR or TTR no sweat, and hops up MUCH cheaper. They absolutely rip, I know, I was just riding one yesterday, going Jonnie Insano, as usual on a harescrambles track, what fun!

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
XR250 vs. KDX200

I have owned both and I like the XR a lot more. It
is much more reliable and basically maintenance
free. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with
Honda. Good luck
Nancy

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
kdx!
They have their own site!
na!na!na,na!Na!
Besides, who wants to start one of those heavy old fstrokes anyway?
if you got the money and experience get a ktm.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
kdx !

I eat XR 250's for dinner! most of the four popper can't even make the hills at the pit! that the old kdx space shuttles off the top ! big knobby has humbled more than one 250 four popper!

Last edited:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
what to do.........

OK, OK, now that you see how divided we ALL are, you need to take a good, long look at what type of riding you are gonna do....... I have a 01 KDX220R AND a TTR 125L now I know their is a difference between them, BUT, If you are going to be a fairly gentle rider, and you don't weigh too much, I would stay with the four strokes. The honda or the yama would work for you. they are both very dependable. BUT, the KDX is very close to a motocross bike, and it has over 11" of travel. This is very important if you are going to ride alittle more aggressively. the hop ups are the four strokes is alittle more pricey. But, as they metioned above, find a park that has some honest people that might even let you ride theirs so you can make up your own mind whats best for you.:D

Lit

Jul 3, 2002
Hi
I bought 2002 xr250. Very heavy, kinda clumsy and way way amenic.. I rode the bike for about 1000 kilometers then got bored of it and bought a kdx 220, I also considered a klx 300 but decided to give the 2 stroke a try. This bike well exceeded my expectations and out performs the xr in every way. I ride much faster and its not from skill ..The xr seemed twice as heavy and a lot harder to ride. The first ride on the kdx made wish id never bought that honda. On the honda I had to prepare for any obstacles and if there was something I had to loft over it was a chore.. The kdx gives the snap I was missing and wheelies are not a matter of pulling the hanlebars and shifting weight to the rear of the seat, and as far as performance its apples and oranges , the xr is a mule. Also when I rode the xr hard the oil literally bubbled in the fame and would be when i opened the frame cap.. If you drop and xr have fun tryin to start it..I think kawasaki is way underated and will never even consider and xr again. The kdx is also a confidence inspiring bike as the honda was so bulky that it seems after riding the kdx, honda should scrap that model for safety reasons alone. IMHO i think any one that bought an xr 250 never got a chance to ride a 220 before purchase or it wouldnt be a boat anchor in their garage now. Ive logged 500 kl on my 220 and have not fouled a plug other than the original one and that was due to breakin.. The bolts at he kickstand did loosen.. Also when I wash this bike the mud comes right off and also it doesnt get as muddy,, The honda collects mud and takes forever to get clean.. I bought my son a 200 xr and its the same deal . he rides it slow for fear of dumping it and isnt having a blast and thats . next year Ill buy him the klx 300 as I think the 220 may be too power much for him.. Honda does build the most reliable dirtbikes but reliability shouldnt be a substitute for fun and safety..

Last edited:

diablo682

Jul 11, 2002
As you can see by the above debate, everyone has different taste. Man you just need to compare them and pick the one you think will make you happy. Any of these will give you what you need.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I buy for reliability, how can you have fun if your bike is broken? Also, I had an xr200, and pounded the $%#^ otta it. I dont know why it still ran when I sold it. IMO id you wanna hop up a kdx220, go bu a Cr, because thats the direction you are headed. The xr's are built for trail riding, not for wheelies and jumps and motocross stuff. I am not going to give you an opininon, but I know the honda is the best QUALITY machine you can buy. It has a balance between performance and reliability. I do agree, you need to take a good look at your overalll situation, (as reccomemded)ride the bikes(as reccomended), and decide which is best for YOU. And if your worried about speed, You can borrow my Cr for a day, it will take care of the xr and the kdx :) tristan18au my cr can blow away a kdx any day too! Gotta love them hondas ;)
just my .02$(ya, i know its good for nothing)

rmacdona

Mar 10, 2002
Just spent a weekend riding with a guy on a 2002 XR 250r. It is a great bike and he had a lot of fun on it, we were riding pretty tight stuff (Ganaraska Forest, Ontario), with some open dirt roads. He loved it until he got on my 2002 220r (with a few mods). He couldn't believe the difference. If you are going to compare the KDX to an XR you better make it a the heavy 400!
Rick

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
If you are on the shorter side, like the KDX but want a 4 stroke, then you can have it all with a Gas Gas Pampera 280, plenty torque, fast enough, climbs hills like a mountain goat, and is the most fun outta bed :)

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I had a KDX for 8 years and loved almost every minute of it, at 200# + with riding gear, the bike was in dire need of a suspension job with me on it, that said, my 200# + frame pounded the KDX silly for 8 years with NO MECHANICAL FAILURES!!! I maintained it regularly, but nothing ever broke down, AND I could average over 60 miles to a tank w/o hitting reserve! GREAT bike for what it is intended to do. I would recommend one with no reservation!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom