XR 250 Still smoking...what do I do?

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I had my XR 250 rebuilt last fall because it was burning some oil when it got hot. I thought I might as well do it then to prevent something more serious from happening. The mechanic said it did need it, and $500 later it was done. I've put on about 70 miles so far (Just got back from college) and it is STILL SMOKING! :bang: What do I look for next? I checked, and the air filter is very clean. Thanks for any help! :worship:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
What did that $500 rebuild entail? What parts did he replace and what did he do to the valves and cylinder?

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
Ha, yeah I guess that info might be a little important ;) . Pistons, rings, and valve guides are all that I can recall. If that sounds wrong for the price, I'll call and verify what exactly they did. Thanks.

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
Well I went out and rode it again today. I put on about 20 miles in tight woods stuff and as soon as it got fully warm it was smoking like crazy. It is smoking worse now than it was before the rebuild. Obviously something is very wrong. I guess I'll just take it back and tell them to fix it right. :think:

Timothy

Oct 1, 2001
I had a 2001 that smoked like crazy after a little over 500 miles on it. I did some research and found that some models had defected cylinder heads. The exhaust valve guides were loose allowing oil to flow between the guide and the head. Being a newer bike Honda replaced the bad cylinder head. This may not be your problem but it's something you might want to check. If the exhaust valve guides are loose in the cylinder head this could possibly be your problem. They are pressed in and should not be loose.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom