boredus

Nov 13, 2006
Hi all,
bit of advice needed. I bought a '85 XR350 at the weekend, single carb issue.There are a few probs with the engine that need sorting but I am not really sure where to start.
The kickstart does not drive anything when I push it down. I have taken off the engine cover to find that the gears are all ok but the shaft on the gear that goes between the clutch and kickstart gear has sheared off and the bearing has been destroyed. THe shaft goes through into the gearbox, when I pulled the shaft out a gear on the inside of the gearbox dropped in! Now the bearing will be easy enough to get hold of but what about the shaft?
I need to get the engine out and strip it down so I can split the engine casings to get at the gearbox, is the gearbox a bugger to put back together again?
I have been looking for a manual online but no luck yet, so I have bought one @ £27!
So any ideas where I can get parts for one of these in th UK?
cheers

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Four stroke tranny's are pretty easy to work on as they are in a basket for you.

As for parts, don't you have Honda dealers over there?

Baddabump.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
no there not hard
just take pictures as you dissasemble if you can-
keep the gears on the shafts,
notice -and keep the shift forks on the shaft-
use the book! lol
there are marks on the kickstart assemble they need to be in alinement

boredus

Nov 13, 2006
Cool, I have stripped my RGV250 engine loads of times but that has a cartridge gerabox that just slots in! I am waiting for the manual to arrive so not doing anything until I have it. I need to know what the parts are called before I can order them! THe 85 XR doesnt appear to be a UK model, but on the positive I heard that the old xr250 uses the same bottom end. Kepping my fingers crossed for that one.
cheers for the advice guys

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
You might try emailing some xr oriented shops, they might have spares.
Or some used gear.
Powroll, xrs only, ballards xr...

minisman

Sep 14, 2006
I had an 83 xr350 and a 83 xlx250r, they both have the same bottom end g/box. But from what i have heard the 85 might be different as it is a dry sump design all the earlier ones are wet sump.

i had to put a new kick start on the xlx, i used a xr 350 one for that. When i did it i dont remember the shaft having anything attached inside the gearbox???

Top Bottom