Xr-80

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
My 8 y/o son has been riding for 2 years on a PW 80 which he has now outgrown. I have been debating on the KLX 110, XR-70, TTR90 and now the XR-80. Being that the PW-80 is small for him what bike would be the best choice? I don't want to have to buy a bike every year and would like him to learn a clutch but am unsure if the XR-80 is the best bike to learn on even though he is a good rider but in comparing the other offerings they all are not much bigger then the PW-80...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Sounds like a perfect next step to me if he can touch on the XR80 :thumb: As you mentioned there really is not much size difference from the PW80 to the others you listed.

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Thanks Chili,

I am just worried about getting a bigger bike and don't want to make the wrong choice but the 80 is a very nice bike and the dealer here is offering invoice on all 03's which make it the same price as the KLX-110.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I put my 9 year old on an XR-80 as his first bike. He's had it 2 years now, and looking back it was the best bike. The clutch was not hard to get used to. 2-3 rides on flat areas, and he was a pro. Go for it.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
How tall is he? I rode a PW until my knee's were up the bars. I looked at the XR100 and the TT-R125. We couldn't find a nice used XR so we had to get new(the TT-R had just came out). Most used bikes this size are abused anyway. With the TT-R $2500 and the XR $2000 I ended up getting a nice used RM80. I'm glad I got the MXer cuz they are fun and will realy teach you how to ride.

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I don't think he is ready for the 2-stoke yet maybe in 2 years. I agree about the used bike comment which is why I went and got a leftover 03 XR80 yesterday which I did get for a great price so now I just have to teach him to use the clutch. Thanks again..

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
That was quick. I'd get him the color he likes unless its the highest one or to small/big. The PW's a 2 stroke and isn't hard to ride at all. It is a smaller bike compared to the XR80 or KLX. When I said used I meant riden by a customer before but 80's are hard to find that are fairly new in some places and a new one isn't to much money(depending ao what you buy). BTW what did you pay?

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Oh, about the 2 stoke I thought you meant a real 2-stoke like the CR, KX , RM , KTM I really didn't consider the PW to be a real 2-stoke becuase of no powerband or top end for that matter in fact when I first bought the bike it had the restricter in and went about 5 mph I almost returned it because I have always ridden 2-stokes and the PW with the restricter was so bad. I paid $1800 out the door and sold the PW for 950 already so it worked out well. Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…